Author Topic: Glad I'm not alone  (Read 15968 times)

roub1

Re: Glad I'm not alone
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2007, 04:10:20 pm »
 Hey John, the cros system works pretty good for me. Hed some problems getting it dialed in but once that was done I'm pretty ok with it. Not like having two good ears but a step above one. At least I'm hearing sound on the deaf side.
 You should be able to tery it out for a few weeks to see if you like it.

JohnC23

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2007, 08:05:32 pm »
Thanks.  I am actaully looking forward to it.  I hope it works.
Suboccipital transmeatal, left side, April 7-2006 @ University of Cincinnati Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio.  (Dr. Philip Theodosopoulos, Mayfield Group and Dr. Myles Pensak, U.C. Head and Neck Surgery)  4 year post-op MRI done Oct. 2010 and was all cear!

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2007, 05:46:12 pm »
John, I was reading your other post about the walker...how big was your AN?  Sounds like we travelled the same path...I couldn't watch TV for a couple weeks either and that's when I went in for my CSF leak...I could finally watch TV during the 8 days I spent there, but the big windows and the light coming through were driving me crazy.

I have a co-worker that is a firefighter that had the surgery 3 years ago....but he's retiring in a month, otherwise I'd pass on the radio info...that's a good idea, hope it works! 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

JohnC23

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2007, 05:54:01 pm »
Genny, my AN was a relatively small compared to others on here (1.2 cm).  The CSF leak was a hassle as it was dripping from my nose.  It felt like a bloody nose, but was a very clear water like liquid.  I didn't think any thing of it, but my wife insisted on calling the Dr., and sure enough...back in the hospital with the lumbar drain in the back.  That drain-thing was not fun.  Did you get the same thing?  Also, after about 2 weeks the sun light never really bothered me.  But for several months the WIND made me disoriented.  That was weird.  I would walk outside and the wind would make me dizzy and off balance. 
Suboccipital transmeatal, left side, April 7-2006 @ University of Cincinnati Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio.  (Dr. Philip Theodosopoulos, Mayfield Group and Dr. Myles Pensak, U.C. Head and Neck Surgery)  4 year post-op MRI done Oct. 2010 and was all cear!

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2007, 06:29:50 pm »
John...yup, dripping from my nose, had read about it on here so knew immediately what it was....lumbar drain that on the 3rd day worked itself out, started leaking again, they put in another drain, but told me to prepare for surgery.  Had that drain in for 5 days, had nearly worked itself out by then even though I told them to stitch this one, they were sure I couldn't hold my fluid and were preparing for surgery on the 8th day when lo and behold...I held my fluid and have held it ever since (I did NOT want my wound re-opened).  That 8 days in the hospital the second time nearly killed me...I guess I had an air bubble in my head and I could not hold any food in...so I got really weak.  Then on the ride home, I layed down in the back of the car and my mom took a fast turn and I could actually feel my brain squish up on the top of my skull (Doc confirmed that that's probably what happened) and I thought I was gonna die.  Anyone reading this....on the ride home sit up no matter how much you don't want to!!!!  Luckily, we don't usually have much wind around here for the first few months after I had surgery (geez, we have it now, more than our share!).  I'm still mostly just disoriented by complex intersections...with lots of cars and peds.  One reason why I don't envy you this and your job, what do you do when you have that and have to go code?  Yikes!!!  Besides that, my other half had to take a train/ped suicide this weekend, with parts strewn 1/4 mile, and although it doesn't bother him, it probably would me.  I find I'm much more sensitive to things post-surgery...I have to look at photos all the time and it's harder now. 

roub1

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2007, 07:12:11 pm »
 I found that going back to work helped my focus alot especially while driving.  It was tough at first but got easier and easier. Although I'm not as good at it as before I can watch traffic and the goons in the parking lot on the other side of the street.
 Had a couple of those train/ped things. Never good when that happens. One of the bad parts of the job for sure. Glad he's ok with it.

Charlie

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2007, 02:38:31 pm »
I think I'd be better at driving if I had to do it....but everyone is so willing to cart me around, I'm taking advantage of it for now.  I do meander in about a 5 mile radius from my home on the back streets, but avoid the crowded mess.

GL....isn't that the truth!  I still can't ride on that freeway onramp without thinking of how I felt.  My boyfriend drives a F350 with a really tight suspension and I hate it.  I hate being bounced around.  They need to build car seats that have the thing like video cameras do, where you can bounce them around but the picture stays straight.  Any engineers out there want to build something like that?  Let me know, I'll be the first in line to buy it. 

How are all the P.O.'s doing with the ice storms?  Everyone here has got cabin fever and we had a weekend full of DV and DUI's. 

JohnC23

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2007, 07:27:48 pm »
gennsymom...we have had no snow or ice yet this winter (knock on wood ;)) We had just about non-stop rain the last several days but the temps. were high enough that we did not have any problems with ice or snow so no crashes or things like that....just barometric pressure headaches from people like us on this message board. Several of the small rivers have begun to flood in the greater Cincinnati area and that has caused problems for some.