Author Topic: Glad I'm not alone  (Read 15976 times)

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
Re: Glad I'm not alone
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 10:20:44 pm »
John,

We were all issued Motorola hand mikes that attach to the radio and clip on our shirts, epaulettes, jackets,etc.

I would use mine infrequently in the past...but know I'm not without it. It broadcasts nice and loud right next to my face. I have to even turn the volume down sometimes because it's too loud!
I don't know if you can use them...if you can give it a try.

John, what kind of surgery did you have? I have'nt gone for surgery yet but I am also in the same boat as you are being right handed and basically deaf in my right ear.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

roub1

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 06:13:40 pm »
You already have have help someone John. Me! It'sa great to know you guys are there and not just the cops but all of you. I never expected this and never thought It would help but it does and I'm thankful.

JohnC23

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 07:06:48 pm »
Dan, my surgery was officially called  "suboccipital transmeatal microsurgical removal of acoustic neuroma"........but there was nothing MICRO about it. It was 6 hours long and I was in the hospital for a week, then after being out for a week and a half, was put back in for 5 days with a spinal fluid leak at the surgery site.  Despite that, I know I made the right decesion for me to have surgery.  I am only 39 (38 at the time) and in good health, so surgery was really the only true option for me.  I have had some issues with returning to work, but those have been easy to deal with because of my sheriff and supervisor being VERY supportive.  My fellow co-workers even donated several months of vacation time for me to use as sick time---on those days that I just don't feel too good.  Living here in the Ohio River Valley (just south of Cincinnati), the weather changes alot.  Every time the barometric pressure changes, my head hurts and some times it is very severe pain and this is 6-7 months post surgery.  It is gonna be a long winter for me, but thats ok.  Dan, make sure you do what is best for you and your family.  I hope that your department is as supportive as mine was during my surgery and recovery.  I will be happy to tell you more of my experiences and recovery.

Roub, you seem to have been going through much of the same things I went through.  So I know how you are feeling.  I plan on checking this message board everynight after work, so feel free to post away!  John
Suboccipital transmeatal, left side, April 7-2006 @ University of Cincinnati Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio.  (Dr. Philip Theodosopoulos, Mayfield Group and Dr. Myles Pensak, U.C. Head and Neck Surgery)  4 year post-op MRI done Oct. 2010 and was all cear!

Obita

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 08:40:32 pm »
Hi John and welcome to the Law Enforcement Acoustic Neuroma Forum!!  Ok, now we are up to 4.   Are all of your ANs on the side your radio is on?????   I know they have ruled out cell phones being the culprit but what about the kind of radios you use?

Hang in there.  The barometric pressure change does not bother me at much as it did the first year post-op.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Dantheman

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 10:08:43 pm »
My radio is always on my left hip. My AN is on the right.....buuuttt, I frequently work in a control center and am the base station for all of the radios. All of the radios not in use at night (over 150) are being charged in the same room as me.

I doubt that has any thing to do with it, heck the radiation probably retarded the growth :D

Dan
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 09:54:59 am »
The other thing that some of our guys have is an earpiece that hooks into their radio where no one but them can even hear the radio traffic.  Most others use the clip on hand mikes.   I know that even when I have my ipod earpiece in (similar in nature) I can still hear things going on around me.  If that's something you guys don't use and want to know about, let me know and I'll find out from our guys what is the best one to use. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Dealy

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007, 10:16:23 am »
I had surgery on Left ear for 1.5CM that left me deaf. That was back in 1988. Now I have one in right ear 2.4 CM-which makes me an NF2. Well I had one sided hearing for 18 years-now (even though I had radiation this past summer) I have some hearing but voices are distorted and muffled. Had too strp down as Supervissor at work-could not hear my employees talk. Geez-now I would give anything for one sided deafness back. It is all an adjustment folks. I am sure a deaf person would give anything I have. It depends which side of the fence you are riding on I guess. I got o the point where one sided deafness was normal for me. However-all loses in life that time to heal and we tend too adjust to our disability. Right now if people do not look me straight in the face and talk-I have no clue what they are saying. TV is out without closed captioning and cannot even think of listening to radio or music. WOW-BUT I HAVE TO EXCEPT AND ADUST. Thanks-and take care. Ron

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007, 01:05:01 pm »
with all of this law enforcement around here, remind me not to rob a bank to pay off holiday gift shopping debt

You are now returned to your regular AN posting broadcast :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

roub1

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 06:14:30 am »
 I don't believe the radio has anything to do with it. I'm left handed and carry my radio on the right, opposite of the AN. There was a thing a few years ago where a number of officers were finding that they developed cancer. They alleged that it was caused by the radar. Most of those guys would ride around with it in their lap. Not a good idea but I don't think that was the cause either.
 All us cops around and not one doughnut joke, very strange!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 06:18:30 am »
....All us cops around and not one doughnut joke, very strange!

I was holding off about buying stock in Dunkin Donuts.... :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

JohnC23

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 07:54:13 am »
Hey!  Its 2007, the new age cops of today like DANISH with our coffee anyway, not donuts :D.

Speaking of the earpieces...I have been trying one that plugs into my radio that I wear in my bad ear (AN side).  I can hear enough that I know dispatch is calling me, but the voices are muffled to the point if i have to comprehend exactly what they are saying i would have to take the ear piece out and use my right ear. (I have about 20% hearing in the bad ear)  I am just experiementing right now, just trying to adjust.

Kathy, I hope the barometric changes/problems subside for me, like the did for you.  That has been my biggest struggle.  My Dr. even said that I would be better off moving to Arizona then living in Greater Cincinnati.  Our weather changes so much here it is crazy.  As I type this, it is 59 degrees @ 850 am on Jan 5th!  (hard to complain about that though!).

Okay, time to get ready for the daily grind!  Be safe all!  John
Suboccipital transmeatal, left side, April 7-2006 @ University of Cincinnati Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio.  (Dr. Philip Theodosopoulos, Mayfield Group and Dr. Myles Pensak, U.C. Head and Neck Surgery)  4 year post-op MRI done Oct. 2010 and was all cear!

Dantheman

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2007, 08:41:26 am »
I would think an ear piece would be more difficult to work with rather than a hand mike. Your AN ear is basically shot, so plugging in there is just like the phone ringing.You know someone is calling you and that's all. If you plug it in your good ear, the radio is all you will hear whenever there is radio traffic. It will interupt conversations, etc.

I still think the hand mike is the way to go. It will put the sound close to your good ear and you can adjust the volume of the radio if you speaking to someone or listening to a perp's exuse. But you'll still hear the transmission regardless.
Besides...unless you are in plain clothes, the hand mike goes well with the uniform.

Dan   

roub1

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007, 10:08:24 am »
I was thinkin about getting my radio guy to dial my cros system into the radio frequency. It is bluetooth so why not get the cell, radio and all that in one unit. Maybe we could get enough guys together and market it. Share with Fire and EMS too. What an idea.

JohnC23

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2007, 10:52:17 am »
Let me know what your radio guy says, I am talking to my Dr about hearing devices this spring and I know the cros system is one that will be discussed.  How is that working for you?  As far as the shoulder mics for work, I think Dan is right on the money with that.  It is the best way to go.  I have been trying the ear piece but I think my best bet is the tradtional shoulder mic.

Dantheman

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2007, 12:36:37 pm »
I was thinkin about getting my radio guy to dial my cros system into the radio frequency. It is bluetooth so why not get the cell, radio and all that in one unit. Maybe we could get enough guys together and market it. Share with Fire and EMS too. What an idea.

We'll all be six million dollar men...or robo cops...I guess depending how "old" we are. ;D