Author Topic: What is the BEST and the WORST of this journey???  (Read 14866 times)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: What is the BEST and the WORST of this journey???
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 11:07:10 am »
Best:  Realizing that I'm not in control of my life.  This experience has definetely taught me a lot about myself, the medical system, what I can handle, and that God will make everything OK.  It may not be the path that I want to take, or have very prayer answered my way, but just knowing that God is in control has made this much more berable.

Worst: Echoing on some other inputs...  Every pain sometimes spins my in the oh no...now what frame of mind, or every face twitch, head ache makes me wonder has the AN decided to grow??
I HATE THAT!  I have never been this way.   Feeling alone at times because friends and family just don't "get it"  so I keep a lot to myself when I know talking about it would be better.

My inputs above (in best) is my my way of making this year a better year.  Hope everyone had a very happy new year.

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

thecakes

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 05:24:24 pm »
  The best--- the handicap sigh for my car.  the bad---- feeling alot older, being crumsy.(and a bad speller too!)

Sefra22

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 06:41:49 pm »
It certainly has been a rough year since I found out about my condition, but it did make me appreciate all I do have.

BEST:  It made me a better friend. This whole ordeal has made me more compassionate for my friends and their medical problems.
Last month a dear friend was diagnosed with throat cancer. His chance of recovery is good, but the chemo is making him really sick, and my husband and I have done what we can to help out his family.

WORST: The meltdowns.  :-[
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

superrmaren

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 07:48:44 pm »
wonderful thread! at times it is hard to think about the positive!

worst: the looong and hard recovery. i'm almost 5 months post-op and it's still going. i never thought i'd say it, but i want to go back to work!! i feel so unproductive! i want to do something to help the world! and the fact that AN surgery was the hardest thing i've ever done in my life! the 18 days in the hospital were so rough. it was a whole lot worse than i could've ever imagined!

best: not sweating the small stuff. more patience. and new and better appreciation for health, family, friends, and doctors!

xox
"the good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems"

4.5cm tumor resected at Johns Hopkins in 2006.  Drs. Tamargo and Minor
numerous facial plastic surgeries
12-7 nerve graft 2008
platinum eye weight removed 2009
deaf right - BAHA
residual balance issues
severe dry

Denise

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 09:31:13 am »
 :o Best: All of you on the forum, that have helped me and put up with my bitterness over this whole situation. My new friend Kathy (obita) (here in MN) who gets it, when no one else does.

Worst: Permanent facial paralysis. Being told by someone you care about that its annoying when i can't hear them.

Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 09:38:36 am »
Hello Friends:

8)

Yes, I will "second that," as I too........KNOW, Kathy (obita) "gets it."  I appreciate her fully.  She wrote privately as well as, a few others.

I was having a HARD TIME yesterday but, feel better today.  This is a Yo-Yo go around.  My symptoms were awful yesterday and the day before, a neighbor was really "nasty" to me and said a cruel thing RE: my AN.  I was so sad, yesterday but, there are lots of cruel people out there and we need to consider, the source.  I did!

I'm moving on here.......cruel world out there........

Hugs,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Denise

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 11:12:45 am »
Palace, happy to hear today is a better day for you.
Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 11:20:10 am »
 :)

Denise,

Yes, I wish so much luck for everyone on the forum and those new people joining us!

I read the AN newsletter.  Some people have balance to continue or begin exercising again.  Yes, oxygen pumping through the heart and brain helps.  For those who can't exercise perhaps the doctor can OK the therapy of hanging the head down say, over a bed or couch, to oxygenate the brain.  I read once, that is good for anyone that can medically do that.  Again, I say getting the OK from the doctor and how long to hang the head over the side of furniture.

My best to all of you.......

Palace  ;)
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Static

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 09:20:33 pm »
Wow, how did I miss this thread?  My best and worse would echo alot of the others, we all have so much in common, symptoms as well as feelings but having gone through this, we have the compassion that sometimes is not found in even our closest "non-AN" friends.  So, to sum it all up.......
Worst - having to go through the whole mess!
Best   - I'm still alive!

Pal,
I'm glad to hear you are feeling better, I wish we could go out together with the dogs, it would be fun!  Heck, it would be great if Obita could come along too, she understands us "golden girls"!  :D  Take care of yourself!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 07:17:38 pm »
BEST:

ALIVE!

WORST:

Post OP: Letting Gravity work on the toilet-
- since you cannot strain.
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2007, 04:19:22 pm »
Worst: Bleepin' headaches

Best: You guys!!! And the PBW

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Obita

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2007, 04:54:42 pm »
Ixta:

I forgot all about that part.........I remember sittin in there so long I got a arse ache on top of it all.  Oh well, I had good drugs!!

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Battyp

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2007, 06:54:43 pm »
Best: having this site and all you guys to help me cope, gaining more patience on the things I can't control, getting back in touch with God,

Worse: not being able to get back to work, falling through all the agency cracks, losing my job and insurance and my ladder  LOL  Deb I've been with you on those darn headaches!  They suck!

Timjk

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2007, 07:45:00 pm »
I am pre-op so my worst is yet to come. But here goes ,so far..

The Best: Knowing I will get all my questions answered and getting a surgery date.
 Plus "meeting" my God-send, Michelle.
 The Worst: The anticipation of what I will find out tomorrow. I have hearing loss on both sides from years of no diagnosis. The thought of total deafness due to surgery terrifies me !!!

PS... Please pray for me..

Tim
Surgery Feb.7th at Moffitt,Tampa. Removed right side AN 3.3 CM plus Chiari Malformation decompression.Second surgery Feb.23rd Ventricle Periphirial Shunt to correct CSF leak.. NO HEARING LOSS.. NO HEADACHES... GOD IS GOOD !!!

flier58

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2007, 07:53:31 pm »
Hi Tim,
We will pray for you,keep you in our thoughts, hope for the best outcomes.  You are in our AN family. Stay strong - we can understand all the emotions you are going through.
Flier58