Author Topic: What is the BEST and the WORST of this journey???  (Read 14864 times)

amymeri

What is the BEST and the WORST of this journey???
« on: December 29, 2006, 01:03:19 pm »
In my other post I tried to mention some GOOD things that have come out of this journey.  While I can't say it was worth having a brain tumor, there are some positive outcomes as well as some terrible things.

So here is my BEST and WORST

BEST:  My marriage renewed its committment, my husband hung in there and I am deeply grateful for his love and his steadfast spirit.

WORST: Losing faith in my health, worrying and waiting for the other shoe to drop....every twinge freaks me out (whether mine or my families' )

How about you?
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: What is the BEST and the WORST of this journey???
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 01:30:34 pm »
I'm glad you're feeling better today Amy.  I think us girls have an extra burden as I just went through a bad week myself...and it was because of that girl thing adding to the emotional part of this trip.  That's about over, and I can feel my spirits lifting. 

Best....what I said in the other thread...that my plate was forcibly cleared and now I'm learning to evaluate if I'm going to do something by if I can, not if I should...it's about MY life, and me enjoying MY life.  I'm also quite thankful for the man who stands by and gives me every little bit of support I need and keeps an eye out for me (and drives me everywhere because I can't).

Worst....Having to go through this as my first surgery (never even a broken bone before) and things that I remember about it that I wish I didn't.

And as always, my AN friends, without whom I'd be in a mental hospital somewhere.  If I could buy you all diamonds, cars and houses to repay my thanks, I would!   ;D

Many hugs!

Kathleen

3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 02:59:30 pm »
I love the idea of this thread, amy.. and sending you MAJOR huggles that you are hanging in there.....

Ok, here goes....

Worst:  Getting the initial diagnosis, as I was the 2nd sibling in my family to be diagnosed with a brain tumor (my sister's was malignant and succumed to it) and having to tell my folks that another daughter had a brain tumor.

Best:  Love and support from my family, my friends, my CB... and having the true honor and pleasure of the friendships here that have helped me during this journey.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 03:13:47 pm »
Best making all my new an friends, learning not to sweet the small stuff!
worst: not being able to get back to work and being the sole support for my son and I.

This whole experience really does change your perspective on things. 

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 03:40:07 pm »
Best:  Our own self-growth

Worst: The symptoms of AN

Make the best of your journey,

Palace
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 03:21:14 am by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

lmurray69

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 03:56:32 pm »
 The Best: was when I found out about this forum and all the wonderfull people that are here..

Worst: was finding out that it is not always possible to have all your prayers answered, when you want it done.. and this tumor, and i am so glad that it is gone.. and all the side effects that goes with it.
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 04:03:45 pm »

Of course, I have to do this a** backwards (as goes my life):

Worst:  FACIAL PARALYSIS

Best:    I ALWAYS LOVE A NEW YEAR.

Happy New Year my AN Family,     Nancy

(note from Phyl: Nan... had to change a hint of the language... sorry)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 04:25:55 pm by ppearl214 »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 05:15:25 pm »
This is an excellent thread!  I want to contribute my little bit, so here goes:

WORST: After a lifetime of relative good health and managing to avoid being a hospital patient, to be diagnosed with a major medical problem requiring surgery and hospitalization was disconcerting, at best.  I also disliked the fact that most of what happened post-diagnosis (numerous doctor visits, lab tests, etc) was almost totally out of my immediate control.  That was tough - for me, anyway.  Knowing my 'natural' hearing in one ear is gone for good - and adjusting to that handicap - is a chore.

BEST[/color]:  The unexpected opportunity to reaffirm my faith in the love of God for His creation as I was faced with something (an Acoustic Neuroma tumor) I could not 'fix' entirely on my own.  I had to lean on Him....and I did, much to my benefit.  Learning how many people I considered casual acquaintances actually cared enough about me to pray for me and demonstrate their personal concern for my well-being was quite humbling.  Also, my wife's obvious committment to my care and recovery was equally inspiring, strengthening our bond of love, established over the past 36 years.  Lots of good stuff and I think, on balance, for me, it outweighs the bad. 

Jim[/color]
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

robinm

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 12:18:48 am »
Nice thread indeed..

WORST- lost hearing on one side at young age, decreased self confidence in public, didn't go to school or work for one semester,

BEST- New perspective toward living, understanding and accepting absurdity the life poses to us,loving family and friends more than ever, growing up, enjoying the gift of we have got and last but not the least quitting smoking.

Boppie

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 12:51:56 am »
Best...learning that I was stronger than I thought, and that my loving family has taken something good from my tumor, too!  ...finding compassionate talented doctors.

Worst...knowing other people endure so much more pain than I have had.  I can only offer words and a smile.

marystro

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 11:18:58 pm »
Worst: Finding out that I have a brain tumor --- the world felt apart thinking I was going to die... :'(

Best: Too many to mention --- stronger family, true friendship, ANA and CK forums, Mark (my CK mentor, aka my Angel), better perspective on life to know what is important and what is not, Stanford, ...

Bottom line: The "best" outweighs the "worst". Things happen for a reason and that God has a plan for all of us!!
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

BevM

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 08:57:36 am »

Worst:  cannot enjoy some places I used to go ; inability to hear in certain environments because of loss of hearing, distorted hearing and Tinnitus, certain sounds causing pain!  Loss of balance has taken the fun out of long walks and walking at night, can't walk a straight line!! (don;t drive on New Years eve!! might get a DUI without the benefit of alcohol!! (DUIA)

Best:  It could be a whole lot worse than it is!  God is in control and has been known for miracles! Its beign!; CK treatment option and  awesome Stanford! ; Great support system including all of you on ANA and CK forums.   HOPE!

matti

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 11:09:24 am »
Worst: I miss being able to hear in social/daily life and don't like the feeling of isolation that comes along with it.  Losing friendships and the support of who I thought were my dearest friends when I was just beginning my AN journey. Not having a forum like this 8 1/2 years ago and having to fly solo for so long :(

Best: Discovering an inner strength and faith that I never knew exsisted. Waking up happy and thankful every morning.  Finding the TRUE meaning of friendship and deepening exsisting ones.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Sam Rush

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 03:13:51 pm »
Excellent thread!!!

Worst, loss of hearing on one side, and the bother of a BAHA, which I regret doing

Best, resumed all my pre op activities, my medical practice and hobbies, no physical restrictions
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Obita

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 04:18:14 pm »
The Best:  I got on with my life as before except being half deaf and that is a pain in the butt sometimes.  I try not to complain about it as there are friends on here with much, much worse.  I gained a little sister in Denise, my fellow ANer and many, many forum friends that I can't imagine being without.

The Worst:  Guilt (getting better with time) for having to put my family through the horrible wait while I was in surgery for 8.5 hours.  They were dreading that day, I couldn't wait to get it over with.  I was happy, happy when my doctors came in before surgery, they were scared to death.

Happy New Year Everyone, Kathy

ps:  I was happy, happy even before drugs!!  I wanted that thing outta my head very bad.

pss:  another worst:  when I read the hospital bill........I turned green and I thought I was going to throw up when I looked up all the "Surgical Equipment" in a medical dictionary out of curiosity.....all the different drill bits got to me.

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines