Author Topic: Hearing Aids  (Read 13785 times)

Static

Re: Hearing Aids
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 06:35:02 am »
I wonder if a letter would help for me.  When I called my pers choice, they told me flat out that it's not covered, period.
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Obita

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 07:17:13 am »
Hi Static:

Try the letter.  It can't hurt. 

I had talked to my ins. co. about the BAHA a year ago.  The said no way but in the next breath he told me to appeal their decision.  My dr. also told me that once I get the denial he would write a letter and try to get it approved due to the deafness being the result of brain surgery.  Not a sure thing but he said he has had very good luck and many have been approved after one or two appeals. 

I still have the BAHA on the back burner.....want it, don't want it etc.....the TransEar sounds so much easier that I hope to try one out this spring.

Good luck, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Jeanlea

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 06:55:52 pm »
My visit to the audiologist went well today.  This is her first TransEar and she's very excited about it.  The other audiologist in her office is going to show another patient the TransEar brochure.  Today I had my hearing tested.  I have perfect hearing on the right side and none of course on the left.  When I was being tested the audiologist put some sort of device on the bone behind my bad and then played some beeping sounds.  I could hear the beeping sounds.  Then she did two ear impressions.  TransEar wanted two of them.  My ear is big enough inside.  She did one of the impressions with me biting on something.  She also measured the outside of my ear.  It is small, but not very small.  lol  Although I don't know what my insurance is going to do I decided to go ahead and order the TransEar.  I'm going to try and get it in pink.  I went to the office that is two hours from my house instead of the local one.  The local one didn't seem as helpful.  Turns out it was a good idea anyway.  The office I went to is charging me $2400 and the other one was chargine $2995!!  The audiologist is going to help me work my insurance.  She is my sister's neice.  My sister is also a CPT, which means she does the coding for insurance billing at a hospital.  I told my audiologist to call my sister if she needs help with the billing parts.  Hope that helps.  I hope to get it January 22, just a week before I leave for another big meeting.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

matti

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 07:42:32 pm »
Jean,

I have been anxiously awaiting your post, I am so glad you decided to order the TransEar. I also had two impressions taken, but my audiologist did not ask me to bite down. Makes sense that your audiologist did that. My transfer unit is pink to match my skin tones, and my processor is brown to match my hair. There is a few day delay if you order anything other than tan, as transEar only manufactures the tan and has to order out for colors. Ask your audiologist to order you an extra wire connector, as they are nice to have on hand. My original got bent inside the prongs and luckily I had one available.

I am so disapointed with my audiogist as she has no enthusiasm and support working with my transEar. I am thrilled to hear that you and Boppie have audiologist that are excited to be working with a new product that will bring back some normalcy to SSD patients. I am trying to find another audiologist in my area who is passionate about what he/she does, as that makes all the difference in the world to me. I am waiting to hear back from transEar on how I go about switching to someone new.

Congrats Jean!!!!

hugs,
cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Static

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 07:56:18 pm »
I had wondered where this thread was! lol  Congrats Jean!  Cheryl, hope you find someone that will work more with you, it makes a big difference!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Jeanlea

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 08:20:51 pm »
I got a message from my audiologist today.  My TransEar won't be in for another 3 weeks.  Apparently they have to do something special because my ear canal is small.  I'm really learning to be patient!!  Hope to get it just before Valentine's Day.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

matti

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 09:23:40 am »
Jean - I'm sorry :(   I know you were hoping to get it before the end of the month. I'm wating for my remake and it should arrive in 4 weeks.

We are very patient girls ;)

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 11:14:26 pm »
Hey Matti...we get to whispher sweet nothings in jean's new ear for vday :o)  Oh Boy!!!