Author Topic: Sore throat-post CK symptom???  (Read 7229 times)

flier58

Sore throat-post CK symptom???
« on: December 17, 2006, 06:50:22 pm »
Hi everyone,
I have completed my CK Nov7-9 for my 2 cm AN.  By the end of Nov. I've developed a sore throat (not unusual for a mother of 4 yo boy who attends a pre-school).  It persisted for about 10 days so i went to see my GP.  She did strep culture (negative) and gave my script for nasonex thinking it is post nasal drip (winter in Chicago) and if there is no improvement within 3-4 days she gave mi antibiotics (amoxicillin).  Well, it is 3 days now on antibiotics and my sore throat is still here, but now both my ears hurt and there is this feeling of fullness in bott along with (i think) pain in tonsils.  No fever.  I drink a lot of fluids, have humidifier on at all times.
The pain is tolerable during the day but pretty bad at night which prevents from sleeping-advil doesn't help.

Did any of the radiosurgery patients had these problems.  Any suggestions? advice?
PS
I have send an e-mail to my CK staff and will call them tomorrow if they don't respond.  Have ENT visit sched for end of Jan. but wonder if I should try to get an emergency appt.(it is hard to get regular appt, due to holidays) but I am worried how this ENT will feel about follow up - alot of them don't like radiosurgery.   

Sam

• I will Praise GOD in this storm !!!
Re: Sore throat-post CK symptom???
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 07:32:21 pm »
I had/have similar issues, before and after GK on 12/12/06, but I really think that it is the weather. Here one week it will be 20 degrees, and the next week it will be 70 degrees. I wish if it is going to be winter it would be cold, and not summwinter. If you are in Chicago, check the polution index, it could be above norm. I have basicly just adapted to my symptoms.
Diagnosed 4mm X 7mm Acoustic Neuroma Left side 09/23/2006
Gammaknife Healthsouth/Highland Medical Center 12/12/2006
                         UAB Gammaknife

Windsong

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 11:25:37 pm »
I only now just swallowed a little itty bitty pill and did it wrong again and the darn things is halway down my throat. grrr...

I made a trip to Er when a big one stuck after my radiation treatment ended.

Since then, I've had two other stuck episodes and this little one too....

W.

flier58

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 06:28:36 pm »
Hello guys,
Thank you for your responses and sharing your experiences.  I got an e-mail from Dr. Chang - he doesn't think it was CK.  More than likely some sort of sinus infection.  I finally had a decent night of sleep I guess sharing the problems with you guys helped  ;Dme sleep and that is one of the best medicines.
This is such a great board with so many awesome people.  Thank you!!!!
Flier58

Windsong

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 06:42:11 pm »
Flier, glad you had a good night's sleep... the sharing on the board does help.

Thanks for letting us know what your doctor said.

In my case, I have never had throat problems before other than what  one  gets during an ordinary cold which pretty much disappeared really fast.

I find I have something taking my attention to my throat just about every day since  somewhat before 'hearing" i had an An and subesquently after treatment. I  myself think it has to do with where exactly the An is along with perhaps post treatment effects.

Have you had your  thorat symptoms for very long??? or is it a short episode?

Hopefully someone is researching swallowing and Ans that do not fit into the normal now i have it now i dont it was while i had an ordinary cold etc.....

All the best,
Windsong

Sheryl

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 06:46:07 pm »
I only now just swallowed a little itty bitty pill and did it wrong again and the darn things is halway down my throat. grrr...

I made a trip to Er when a big one stuck after my radiation treatment ended.

Since then, I've had two other stuck episodes and this little one too....

W.

Hi - Not sure I'm doing this quote thing correctly but anyway -- when my husband had his meningioma removed (another benign type of brain tumor) he developed swallowing problems especially with pills.  I remembered when my son was little, the pediatrician told me to take a tablespoon of applesauce and put the pill in it.  It does really help.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Windsong

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 06:50:17 pm »
thanks sheryl... i tried banana when it was here.. applesauce sounds like a good thing to keep on hand....appreciate your response.. i helps... and i hope your husband is doing much better, too.

W.

mellowrama

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 11:42:40 pm »
I had ck in the end of september, and I've noticed a sore throat only on the an side periodically, comes and goes but not that severe.  I recall a top nuerosurgeon told me that I would probably develop problems swallowing...I figure the tumor is swelling and causeing side effects.

melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

Kilroy1976

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 09:06:52 am »
A sore throat was the first problem I had after radiosurgery. It appeared on the drive home from the hospital. I assumed that I'd swallowed a dried up piece of McDonalds breakfast bisquit the wrong way, but now I know that it was a side-effect of the radiation.

One thing you might pay attention to is if the sore throat is all over, or confined to your AN side. If it's all over, it's probably just a sore throat. If it's only on the one side, there's a decent chance that it's from the radiation.
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

antoinette

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 03:57:37 pm »
I noticed that it is easier to swallow big pills, likely to stay stuck in the throat or eosophagus, to do it with a bit of food. You chew it first then add the pill before you swallow. It does not get stuck as much.
antoinette

flier58

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 07:25:56 pm »
Hi everyone,
My sore throat is better.  It began improve right after I posted my question. So here is to the healing powers of this site  ;D.  Thanks for everyones response.  I will never know if it was/is AN, viral infection or bacterial one (since I started taking antibiotics)
I think that I will always experience some issues with my oral cavity due to trigeminal irritation causing numbness, tongue pain etc.
All these aches and pianes chnge in places and intensity  and I will always have a problem determining if it is an AN acting up or some other problems.
Flier58

Kilroy1976

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 07:49:47 pm »
Sounds like the Phantom to me, moving from room to room in your head rattling chains... ;)
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida