Author Topic: Physical Activities after Radiosurgery  (Read 18593 times)

Sam

• I will Praise GOD in this storm !!!
Physical Activities after Radiosurgery
« on: December 15, 2006, 01:50:30 pm »
Does anyone know how long I will have to wait after Gammaknife treatment before I can go back to eating the road up running?
I need to get out and start my PT again, I hate having to take it easy!

Sam
Diagnosed 4mm X 7mm Acoustic Neuroma Left side 09/23/2006
Gammaknife Healthsouth/Highland Medical Center 12/12/2006
                         UAB Gammaknife

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Physical Activities after Radiosurgery
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 02:10:43 pm »
Sam

In the same shoes here. I know each of us deal with our post-treatment in such individual ways. I tried to go back to the gym to work out with my trainer (who happens to be a physical therapist as well) 1 month post CK... didn't work for me.  I've been on hiatus for a while now for my gym workouts as other complications now have me side-lined (and feeling like a beached whale). I'm a former power walker (as of 3 yrs ago, that use to do 4 miles in 47 minutes) and now... well, I walk with a cane and miss my work outs terribly.  I try to do some walking now, without my cane, when I walk my dog.  She pulls me this way and that way (basically, she walks me instead of me walking her), so it allows me to work on my balance, as well as trying to keep my legs strong.  Cardio is an issue for me as I'm now running into exertional headaches, which I'm currently being tested (which we also feel has nothing to do wtih the CK treatment).

I know folks, such as Mark and CrazyKat (Paul) work out and are doing fabulous. I'll lurk this thread to see what others say.

Hang in there!
Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

marystro

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 02:35:58 pm »
I was exercising at least 3 or 4 times a week - running, gym, etc. before AN dx.  BAM!  When I found out about AN, I lost all my desire to work out and have not returned to the level since.  Not sure why.  It's probably a combination of energy and motivation.  I have been on low cholesterol diet before CK and been maintaining it however.

Someday, I will return to my workout level.  Hmmmm...  I should add that to the Santa wish list in Phyl's post.  I think I will.

Mary
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

vczar

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 12:00:08 am »
Sam,

Each of us and our recovery is different, for sure...you need to listen to your own body but I also know it's helpful to learn about other people's benchmarks.  I'm not young, not old (58) and was active before GK (June 2006) and continue to be so.  I was and am a runner, hiker, biker and skier.  Four days after I flew back from my GK treatment, I climbed a 13,800 foot peak here in Colorado with my husband.  I was definitely tired and definitely exhilirated!!!  For about 2 months after the GK treatment, I tired more easily and required more rest but none of this prevented me from doing the active things I wanted to do.  Some of this for me, I think, was mind over matter and some of it was being fortunate that my body was not seriously adversely affected.  I count myself lucky in so many ways and hope to continue down that path.  My very best wishes to you as you sort this all out.  When the time is right you will know it...I think that pushing yourself can be a good thing if that's your mind set.  Take care and good luck!

Ginny
Ginny
2 cm.--May 2006
GK-University of Pittsburgh
Dr. Lunsford

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 08:27:49 am »
Ginny,

thank you for sharing that and I do find it ti be extremely helpful in knowing that you use the power of "mind over body"... it truly does make a difference.

You note the fatigue factor. As you may know, we are doing a survey here for Dr. Medbery who is helping us to understand why some experience certain levels of fatigues post radio-surgery (and other forms of AN treatment). If this is of interest to you, please email me here with your internet address and I'll send the survey along.    It's a small MS Word doc (37k), less than 2 minutes to complete and you email it directly to Dr. Medbery.

If this is of interest to you, please let me know.  your inputs would be most helpful, especially where you note your current levels of activity.

I hope you are enjoying your holiday season.

Phyl

Sam,

Each of us and our recovery is different, for sure...you need to listen to your own body but I also know it's helpful to learn about other people's benchmarks.  I'm not young, not old (58) and was active before GK (June 2006) and continue to be so.  I was and am a runner, hiker, biker and skier.  Four days after I flew back from my GK treatment, I climbed a 13,800 foot peak here in Colorado with my husband.  I was definitely tired and definitely exhilirated!!!  For about 2 months after the GK treatment, I tired more easily and required more rest but none of this prevented me from doing the active things I wanted to do.  Some of this for me, I think, was mind over matter and some of it was being fortunate that my body was not seriously adversely affected.  I count myself lucky in so many ways and hope to continue down that path.  My very best wishes to you as you sort this all out.  When the time is right you will know it...I think that pushing yourself can be a good thing if that's your mind set.  Take care and good luck!

Ginny
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jvastola

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 08:36:15 am »
I thought I could throw my .02 on this topic since I am as of  today 2 weeks post CK. 

I went back to my normal 1.5 hour hot yoga class, 4 days after my treatment was complete.  I'm not talking about a few minutes lying around a stretching, I'm tlaking about 1.5 hours of strenuous hot 99 degree room yoga.  I am determined to work through my balance issues as as soon as I can.  It is interesting to me that when I have a bad day, with balance problems and slight disorintation, if I force myself to go to my yoga class, I feel 110% better aftewards.    I think it has to do with forcing my head through the "wonky" mode back to normal.

One funny thing happened on Monday night.  I was in a fairly strenuous pose and I hear my instructer saying "weeee.." and could not undertand why.  Well a few milliseconds later I knew why, I was falling over backwards and didn't even perceive it!!  I did manage to catch myself before falling completly down though!! 

Anyway, I feel so much better when I go into my "by sheer force of will" mode and work my way through the fatigue or just take a 15 min cat nap and then force my way through.

Just my experience.

Jim

Jim
San Jose, CA
Diagnosed 10/4/06
2.2cm x 2.4cm x1.9cm Left side
CK December 4-6 2006
6 month MRI showed no cell death
12month MRI Tumor size 1.9x1.9x1.6
14 months my hearing stars to return!!

michael

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 09:01:06 pm »
Sam,
I know we are all different but I went to meetings the night after my GK and flew to Colorado the next day for 5 days of meetings. Not supposed to wash hair for a few days due to the wounds left from from frame placement and I stayed out of the pool for about a week because of healing time from frame placement also. It worked out well for me to be out of town for a few days. I felt that I should not road bike for several months as I felt dizzy a few times but I ran and swam as always and continue to do so. Again, I know everyone is different but I kept waiting on something to happen that never did and I just went on as usual. I truly feel that the GK was the best thing since sliced bread for me and cannot imagine the differences that there must be when surgery is required. I am 52 and 18 months out from 11mm AN, I am truly blessed.

Best of luck and please ask questions anytime!!!!!

Michael
11 MM AN - Gamma Knife 4/2004 - Wake Forest/Baptist Hospital - North Carolina, Dr. Ed Shaw

BusyBonnie

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 12:05:13 am »
Here's another question,

Does anyone know if yo can dye your hair before having GK? I want to color my hair but my GK is scheduled for the 27th. Thanks,

Lana
Mother and wife.
2006 11mm acoustic neuroma.
GK Dec. 27th 2006 at SD Gamma Knife Center.
June 2007 MRI - No signs of necrosis.
April 9th 2013 - 13mm
Will be scheduling radiosurgery again

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 02:41:40 am »
Hi Lana,

Licensed cosmetologist here....

Yes, it is perfectly safe to do hair color prior to your treatment... and that is when I (personally) would recommend it. I'm not sure what kind you do (off-the-scalp color, such as foils, etc vs. all over 1-process).  I would then hold off for a while post-treatment as certain areas of the scalp may be a bit sensitive (esp. to hair color chemicals) post-treatment.

Had my color (ooops, did I just admit that! :o) 1-wk prior to my CK to play it safe, not knowing how soon after I could do so.

I hope this helps.
Phyl

Here's another question,

Does anyone know if yo can dye your hair before having GK? I want to color my hair but my GK is scheduled for the 27th. Thanks,

Lana

BusyBonnie

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 02:48:19 am »
Thanks Phyl!

That helps a lot! I need to hide those nasty grays! I will definately try to get it done asap. I don't want to have to wait. I use the all over process. I knew I wouldn't be able to do it after GK fow awhile but I just wanted to make sure I could before. Thanks for your help and have a Merry Christmas!

Lana
Mother and wife.
2006 11mm acoustic neuroma.
GK Dec. 27th 2006 at SD Gamma Knife Center.
June 2007 MRI - No signs of necrosis.
April 9th 2013 - 13mm
Will be scheduling radiosurgery again

marystro

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 02:41:44 pm »
Hi Lana,

Hair color and high-Lite.  I did them before and after CK.  No problem whatsoever!!  So, go for it.  You will look great and feel much better all done up.  I know I do ;-).

Happy holidays.

Mary
Mary

flier58

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 02:51:12 pm »
Hi Lana,
Not that I want to scare you but I had my hair done 5 weeks post CK (also single process) and burnt my scalp pretty badly.  Posted the question on cyberknife site and guess what - scalp might be a bit sensitive and it is better to use some sort of barrier btw. the scalp and color ie. cap or foil.  It was also suggestion given by our Phyl.  Another words like with everything AN - you either have no issues or you do.  But better safe than sorry.  Look up docs answer to Andy's mom (thats me on cyber page) about a week ago.
Happy Holidays and good luck on 27th.  We will keep you in our prayers.
Flier58/Andy's mom 

marystro

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 03:17:52 pm »
Hi Lana,

Flier58 and Phyl are right.  Better be safe.  With GK I think you will have some small areas on the skull that may be affected.  I will get it done before and wait for a little after treatment.  I waited about one month before I had color and high lite.

Will be thinking about you on the 27th.  Please do let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.  I am in town and will be glad to help out.  Send me a personal mail if you'd like.

Mary
Mary

Sam

• I will Praise GOD in this storm !!!
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 05:38:16 pm »
Today was a good day. When I was diagnosed in September, I was informed by my ENT to STOP running completely. In November I was informed by my Neurosurgeon that I should resume light Physical activities Meaning short jogs, (not happy about that) about 2-3 times a week. After my GK I was told to resume with my Physical activities 48hours after the GK. So I gave it 2 good weeks for recovery time and decided today to resume. Before I stopped running I was Running 1.5 miles in 13:00 min., best time was 12:00 min.(in July). After a short break from running, I ran the 1.5 today "with a cold" in 13:54. I was pleased, considering what I have been through in 2006. I have a new goal now, and this will be my New Years resolution. By this time in 2007 I am going to run the 1.5 in 10:00 min. flat. My tumor might not like it, but it does not matter, it WILL BE DEAD!
Diagnosed 4mm X 7mm Acoustic Neuroma Left side 09/23/2006
Gammaknife Healthsouth/Highland Medical Center 12/12/2006
                         UAB Gammaknife

marystro

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 06:09:49 pm »
Sam,

You gave me such inspiration.  I think I will venture out tomorrow morning to re-start my workout routine again.  It's been a while.  I agree that it is more mental than physical.  I need to be psych'ed up.

So all of you (Phyl, Mark, Sam, ...) , please please please keep your fingers and toes crossed for me.

*I think I can I think I can I think I can... *

Mary
Mary