Author Topic: Hair Loss??!!  (Read 12141 times)

danaej

Hair Loss??!!
« on: December 15, 2006, 09:33:51 am »
I had my AN surgery June 7th of this year and am now going to have to have a Lumbar shunt done Dec. 19th. I will find out today what that is...Anyway , the last few times I have washed my hair I noticed that it has been coming out by the handfulls. The first time I didn't think anything about it, but now I am beginning to worry. Has anyone else had problems with their hair coming out after surgery? And if so, will it pass? Thank you,  Dana

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Hair Loss??!!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 10:36:42 am »
YES YES YES!!!!!!

The hair loss is UNBELIEVABLE,  at first, so relax Dana.   It will lessen up. 
I'm trying to think how many months - I'm about 6 mos. post op, so,   was it maybe first month or so ??
I had a post I think on post treatment called 'frizzy hair', & I think some replied about it also, not sure.
Wait a minute, you had your surgery 12 days before me, & it's still coming out?  Is it as bad ????
I know my hair loss has lessened alot since the surgery, now it's the normal hair loss - Is it as bad as in the beginning?
Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 02:32:24 pm »
(hairdresser buts in with a thought)....

over the years, I learned through my hair clients that the stresses, medications and such will also bring on hair loss.

Danae, you can check with a dermatologist about alopecia and to rule that out... the stresses you have incurred this year can defiantely bring on the hair loss....

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 02:40:57 pm »
I lose hair after antibiotics, anesthetic, and stress.  I am in my normal mode of losing hair since my AN surgery.  I lost a lot around 6-8 months post op and now again at 12 months.  It will pass.  If you feel your scalp in a few months you will find stubble growing in, new hairs!

My hairdresser confirms that people lose more hair after drugs and surgery.   An average healthy person drops 100 hairs a day anyway. 

danaej

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 03:50:45 am »
It has been about 3 weeks ago that I really noticed it. Wow! If it is stress and meds. I may not have any left after this next op. I am so glad I found this Forum. You all don't know how much I appreciate knowing there are people out there that can help me eith the questions that the Drs. don't seem to have time to answer. Thank you all..Dana

P.S. I hope every one has a Merry Christmas! :)

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 09:07:38 pm »
Yep, hair comes out in clumps on the an side.  Stress and meds play a toll.  We'll be sending you warm hair thoughts for xmas!  They don't warn us about the hair loss, if they did none of us would have gotten treatment!  Took a while but mine is back and thick as it was before.

mar50

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 07:21:06 am »
Hi Dana - It's so funny, I logged on this morning specifically to do a search on hair loss (after losing a few more handfulls today) and found your post.  I am 4 months post surgery and 2 months post GK - I lost a ton of hair right after my GK, and am now losing  MORE hair - I haven't talked to my dr. about this, but will next week.  I am concerned, but chalking it up to stress (I also had a baby 6 months ago, so that may play a part as well).  I'll post again after my appointment next week and let you know what the dr. said, but know that you are not alone!!!  Maybe Santa will bring us some nice hats.  Merry Christmas!!!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 10:10:58 am »
For me.... my attitude is... I can deal with a hint of hair loss as long as the booger in my head is dying (or dead). The hair loss, to me, is a minor, temporary inconvenience as long as the treatment works! :)

But, that's only my attitude...

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

terracotta

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 05:43:33 pm »
Hi Danae and others. I thought I'd post my experience with this issue. About three years ago I had a hysterectomy. At 6 weeks post op I suddenly had a huge completely bald spot on the crown of my head--wasn't just thinning. And it kept growing. There were thyroid and anemia concerns. My Gyno claimed she had not seen this happen before post hysterecomy. Other patients and hairdresser reported hair loss problems after surgery and from meds and hormone issues. At the same time I started to notice dizzy problems. My PC thought I was having difficulties accepting the new me and was stressed. Finally I got into see a alopecia expert at UCSF and sure enough that's what it was, alopesia areata. She says its usually random and familial. Only my brothers were balding-- not women. Otherwise, I have a very thick head of hair. The dermatologist (alopecia expert) injected steroids in the bald area. She did this about every 6 weeks for awhile. Right away the hair came back like a chia pet! Anyway it was about 6 months later I under went the craniotomy. I figured the bald spot would recur for sure but I was pleasantly surprised. Still, three months post I had complications underwent another craniotomy and was placed on IV antibiotics. Only one month later or 4 months post the first craniotomy I had another cranial surgery. I remained on IV antibiotics 2 more months. Still no hair loss. Then I developed a brain abscess! and was placed on another IV antibiotic. This antibiotic led to a weird systemic reaction leading to gallbladder surgery. Of course I remained on IV antibiotics and still no hair loss. About 6 weeks after the gallbladder surgery and 7 months after the initial craniotomy I had another craniotomy to drain the abscess. Anyway, thats 4 craniotomies, one gallbladder removal, oh! and a deep vein thrombosis, many general anesthesia exeriences, IV antibiotics for 9 months, menopause, etc etc but no recurrence of hair loss! Seesh! The dermatologist claims there is a good chance it will recur without rhyme or reason.
T     

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 04:48:42 pm »
As a guy, the hair issue isn't quite as important to me as it may be to the ladies.  However, as I have a naturally full head of hair, I would certainly prefer not to lose any of it...and I haven't.  Almost 7 months post-surgery, 2 months post-FSR and no noticable hair loss, although I suspect it may be a tad thinner than it once was, but then, I'm no kid, anymore.

My lovely wife (age 53) has had 17 surgical operations over the past 20+ years and is on many different medications.  Yet she has never had any appreciable hair loss.  She did have a case of 'thinning' hair a few months ago but that seemed to just disappear on it's own and her hair (always cut very short) is as thick and strong as ever.  I suspect that hair loss due to meds and stress is a very individualized phenomena that cannot be generalized. 

Jim[/color]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 05:38:19 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

danaej

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 03:34:34 am »
WoW!!!..Terra and Jim...You both have really been through the mill. I have been home a week since I had my lumbar shunt put in and today is the first day I have woke up headache free. I still notice a lot of hair loss but maybe I am on the mend now and it will ease off or stop. If nothing else. I guess I can always get a wig catalogue and be" whatever color" I want to be!!!...LOL ;D..

jerseygirl

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 10:19:17 am »
Dana,

Congrats on getting over with the LP shunt! I hope you feel better and better every day. I lost almost all of my hair after my surgery 18 years ago. I was not completely bald, but you could see a lot of scalp all over. My mother-in-law cried when she me bald in the back like an old man. Surgical stress, megadoses of steroids and tremendous weight loss (over 20 lbs) made me lose so much hair. Once it started shedding, it was impossible to stop. However, new hair came in pretty quickly. I had to get a very short cut otherwise I would look totally ridiculous. What helped me get back better hair than before are hair products that increase circulation to the head ( to this day I use some but the brands changed, I now use Nioxin and VitaTress) as well as special attention to the diet- lots of protein, fruit, vegetables, extra vitamins and minerals. Obviously nothing low calorie but no empty calories either, just large portions of good healthy food.

The rationale behind it is that when body recovers after surgery, all the nutients (and you need more than average at this time) go to the wound, and the body sacrifices hair production because it needs as much as it can get. By increasing your intake of nutrients by mouth, the body gets what it needs and has some left to resume hair production. In addition, all those hair products for hair loss increase the circulation to the hair follicles so they can utilize the nutient-rich blood and also supply additional nutients topically.

As far as a wig goes, I purchased one but never wore it because I read somewhere that it is not recommended in cases when the hair is growing back because it impedes circulation and hair quality and quantity will be affected. My hair became so thick and healthy, my hairdresser was shocked! Hope yours will, too!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.