Author Topic: Anyone hear wings flapping in ears?  (Read 29318 times)

Volley

Anyone hear wings flapping in ears?
« on: December 07, 2006, 07:54:43 pm »
Okay, I know this sounds ridiculous, but on two occasions now I swear I heard a noise in my ear that sounds like a very large moth flapping its wings or a small bird flapping its wings.  It only lasts a couple seconds, but it is real enough that I start batting at the side of my head thinking a small moth has flown into my ear canal. 

Here's the stranger part . . . it happened about a month ago on my left side which I just shrugged off as the beginning of some weird tinnitus.  I have a very tiny 2.5 mm AN that obviously is being watched.  The second time it happened it was my right ear.  Same thing . . . started batting at my ear thinking something had flown in there.  I was going to shrug it off, but then I remembered, "Hey, that's the good ear!"  I have never had any perceived hearing loss and only some slight symptoms of facial tingling/numbness, earache and sore throat.  In fact, all my symptoms seem to have subsided compared to a couple months ago - all except this wings flapping business.

Both these episodes happened when I was just sitting at my desk at home with the windows closed and no signs of insects in sight.  Has anyone else heard wings beating in their ears?  If not, I'm going to chalk it up to perimenopausal symptoms.  If I can't find a reason for something by body is doing, I blame my hormones. 

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Re: Anyone hear wings flapping in ears?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 08:09:33 pm »
HI Volly,
  I've had similar sounds, but I have all kinds of strange sounds going on, but in my An ear that I can't hear out of. Not having the surgery and with the AN so small, and the fact that it changes ears, who knows? It is a strange one for sure. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get in to see the doc and get their opinion.

Patti Ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

matti

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 08:18:13 pm »
Hi Volley - From time to time I get what sounds like helicopters. I bolted out of bed one morning, because I thought a heliccopter was landing on my roof. It will usually last for a few moments, but on occasion I've had it for a day or so.
My doctor told me it was the eustachian tube fluttering, but not sure if he is right ???   If I were you, I'd run it by the doctor just to be sure.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

lmurray69

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 06:38:08 pm »
I thought that they left a fly in my ear..I think it was the steroids...
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

marjoryb

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 06:27:47 am »
I've had the sound of a fly fluttering or buzzing in my ear (AN side - where I have lost hearing) every once in a while since surgery.
Marjoryb