Author Topic: Cost Assistance  (Read 1151 times)

chrisdomask

Cost Assistance
« on: May 26, 2023, 02:10:12 pm »
Hi, I have complete hearing loss in my left ear due to the Acoustic Neuroma. I've since retired and am on Medicare, which I know doesn't cover the cost of hearing aids - however, since the hearing loss is due to a brain tumor, wondering if the provider codes things differently for Medicare, if the cost may go through? Also, are there any funds to assist with the cost of the hearing aids? I had Phonak Cros B-13 for my left ear and Phonak Bolero 90-P for my right ear. Unfortunately, I have lost my hearing aids (I know - irresponsible), however, I didn't wear them all the time, since I have 100% hearing in my right ear. I appreciate any information. Thank you for your help,
Sincerely,
Chris

donjehle

Re: Cost Assistance
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 08:26:35 pm »
Hi chrisdomask!

Thank you for posting your questions on the ANA Forums.  Since I'm not quite yet on Medicare, I really can't answer your questions about how that works.  However, I do have a question about your lost hearing aids.  Do you know if you are covered for a replacement set of hearing aids?

The reason I ask is because my audiologist told me that if I lost my CROS system or if the dog ate them (which she says sometimes happens), I was covered for an additional set over the next 5 years from the date of purchase.  I have an Oticon CROS system  and not a Phonak Cros system, so I don't know if that makes a difference (or if it's my audiologist who does this?), but it may be worth checking with your audiologist to see if you would qualify for a replacement set.  I don't remember if the replacement for me was free or if there was a minimal charge.  All I remember is that I wouldn't have to pay thousands for a new set.  Again, it doesn't hurt to check.

Like you, my Acoustic Neuroma destroyed my hearing in my left ear while I have very good hearing in my right ear.  But my CROS system has been great, especially when someone is sitting on my left side (and I can hear them in my right ear thanks to the CROS system).  The other thing that has been very beneficial is when I am ordering drive-through. fast food.  I cannot hear anything from the speaker because my right ear is in the car.  But with my CROS system, I can hear exactly what the fast food person is saying or asking me.  If I forget to put in my hearing aids, I cannot order from a drive-through.  I either have to go inside or forgo the fast food.

Best wishes on your journey!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 09:27:57 am »

I have a Cochlear BAHA device and am on Medicare. Mine was fully paid for(on third device)  but I also have additional insurance so would have to look to see who paid what. But I believe it was Medicare. You can get a new device every 5 years.

I have been told that they are coded as a prosthetic not hearing aid. Due to type of hearing loss we have. That may help immensely if you can check into that avenue.

I assume it would be the same for regular hearing aids. Not sure.

Good luck !
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

chrisdomask

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 09:58:02 am »
Thank you for the suggestion of coding as a prosthetic as opposed to a hearing air. I have an appointment with my audiologist this afternoon, so this is timely information.