Author Topic: Ablation of Acoustic Neuroma  (Read 1135 times)

Leo L

Ablation of Acoustic Neuroma
« on: February 23, 2023, 12:35:24 pm »
Hello forum,
I'm a newby on the forum with a diagnosis of an acoustic neuroma on the right side since August 2021. I had Gamma Knife treatment Jan. 2022 and so far multiple MRI's have demonstrated no further growth. However, my symptoms have worsened since the treatment with debilitating imbalance, total hearing loss, loud tinnitus and the fullness feeling of the ear canals (the ENT doc calls it Eustashian Tube Dysfunction).
The ENT doc has recommended chemical ablation with an antibiotic as the next step.
Anyone have experience with chemical ablation?

mwatto

Re: Ablation of Acoustic Neuroma
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 07:00:35 pm »
I havent had ablation but I continue to get stabbing pains in ear 4 years post CK (was also happening prior.) Please keep us posted I would like to know more also- have never seen this in the forum discussion.
Michele
20 x19x14mm Cystic AN diagnosed Feb 2019. CK.
Mri 2019 shrinking: 18x17x13 mm.
Mri 2020 - no cysts visible stable.
MRI 2021 stable no change
MRI 2022 stable no change.
MRI 2023 Further reduction 12x12x10mm!! Hearing 85%
MRI 2024: No change AN or hearing

donjehle

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 10:29:39 am »
Hi Leo L!

Thank you for posting on the Forums, and your question is a great one.  I have not heard of anyone having a chemical ablation for an acoustic neuroma.  My guess is that it is a treatment for your Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.  But I am not a physician, and I really have no clue.  I know my ENT injected a corticosteroid into my acoustic neuroma ear.  He said it had to be administered quickly after hearing loss or it would not be viable.  It did not help my hearing loss at all.  Like Michele, I would be curious to know more about this.  Please update us on this later!

Best wishes!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

gbly

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 02:11:34 pm »
Leo L.
You have my interest.  I was looking up chemical ablation and understand now the idea, but what actually would you be getting treated?  The Eustashian Tube?  What would the outcome be? 

This is something I have not seen or can't really find online, so I suspect you will have a lot of interest.
What is the expected result of the treatment?
Thank you
GB