Author Topic: Is this hemifacial spasm?  (Read 1477 times)

galib

Is this hemifacial spasm?
« on: October 01, 2022, 12:16:49 am »
Hi,

I am 24 years old, My name is Galib. My father was diagnosed with hemifacial spasm in early 40s and he is now in 60s.
I am 24 now and my left lower-eyelid feels heavy, when I eat spicy food or drink cold water my lower Eyelid twitches!!! I am afraid that maybe I also got it ??? as it is a progrrassive disease...

I have hypertension and tinnitus.

Your openions are welcome...

donjehle

Re: Is this hemifacial spasm?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 02:56:16 pm »
Hi galib!

We are not physicians, of course, and none of us could confirm whether you have hemifacial spasm and whether your inherited them from your father.  We can only share our experiences, and most people in these forums who have facial spasms had them as a result of their acoustic neuromas, and not as a heriditary condition.

My recommendation is that you discuss it with your physician.  Only he/she could confirm it.

I hate that you are experiencing this at such a young age.  I wish you the best in your future!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

galib

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 03:36:34 am »
I think it is essential lower eyelid twitches but they often triggers with drinking cold water or spicy foods.

Dlip246

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 08:18:38 am »
Hello Galib,

Yes, please go see your doctor who can order testing that may hep you determine the cause.  Keep us posted.  All the best!
1.4 x .83 x 6 cm (14 x 8.3 x 6 mm).  watched slowly grow for 2 years then CK January 2022.  3 months post CK hazy head, 6 months post CK now having hemifacial spams same side. Spasms haven't stopped almost one year after they started :(

galib

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 02:44:01 am »
What if I see a doctor and he/she does the MRI/CT Scan and determines WOW it's hemifacial spasm under development and still there will be no treatment. My father is having it for a long period of time and taken medicines, taken botulinum toxin injections and nothing helped him.

My father told me- It started with very small lower eyelid twitches and gradually grown to hemifacial spasm. Same thing happening with me!

Eyelid twitches are common and sometimes people get for for stress, caffaine, anxiety and soon resolves on their own. But I am worried, that if it is normal eyelid twitches or under-development hemifacial spasm.

gbly

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 12:54:06 pm »
galib,
I know these are never easy times, and only you can know what you can handle and what you want to know.  You seem very educated on this and although you mention not good treatments available, I will say the botox is wonderful.

I think by coming here you are strong and you got this.  None of us are you, but we are here to listen.  But knowing will help you get ahead of this if that is what it is.  It might not be and you can get that stress taking away.  If it is, then you know and you can fight it head on instead of worrying and wondering. 

I do botox now, and yes never perfect but it does calm the face down and that helps me relax so much.  Again you being here and asking the questions makes you strong and we are here to listen.

Please keep us posted on what you decide.
v/r GB