Author Topic: Contemplating BAHA or CI — how do I know if CI works?  (Read 1429 times)

bob_neuroma

Contemplating BAHA or CI — how do I know if CI works?
« on: August 15, 2022, 08:00:54 am »
Hi all,

I had retrosigmoid surgery in November last year. Things have been relatively fine but SSD is bothering me.
I believe I still have an intact hearing nerve, how can I be sure? I will meet with my neurosurgeon after the next MRI and ask him, I guess he should know.

And even if it is intact, a CI might not be an option? How does one know?

I have a serious case of GET — gaze evoked tinnitus — and it is making life difficult and I am hoping the CI might help here.

I tried a CROS and was not entirely happy with it and will opt for a BAHA if CI does not work.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 09:37:35 am by bob_neuroma »

alabamajane

Re: Contemplating BAHA or CI — how do I know if CI works?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 05:35:01 pm »
Hi
One option is to find an ENT that is familiar with Cochlear and their  products and make an appointment to discuss options.

You can go on The Cochlear website ( Cochlear.com) and there is an option to “ find a clinic” near you that is familiar with them. You could start there and discuss your options. I believe a hearing exam by an audiologist will be discussed and that should tell them if you have a good hearing nerve,, I think ,,,,I’m not a doctor but this has been my experience. I believe you will need a current hearing test before ordering any unit.  You will also need the recommendation from the ENT saying you “ need” one.

I had translab surgery in 2011 and received my first BAHA in 2014. I have recently upgraded to the latest version of the BAHA and love it!!

I wish you luck and hope you are able to get some hearing help. Maybe it will help some with the tinnitus,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

donjehle

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 06:36:18 pm »
Thanks for sharing your experience on these forums, Bob!

Can you hear well when you put the telephone up to your Acoustic Neuroma ear?  I thought my hearing wasn't as bad as my audiologist said, but I had to admit that it probably was worse than it was when I couldn't make out what people were saying over the phone.  But it is good for you to check out the options, BAHA, CI, and CROS.  It sounds like you are eliminated the CROS hearing system.  That helps narrow the choices that works for you.

Best wishes on your journey!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

bob_neuroma

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 04:11:16 am »
Hi,

No I am completely deaf on my right ear according to the audio tests. Yet I don't know if my cochlea or the nerve is damaged (or both!). I have scheduled an appointment with my ENT. I fear that they usually don't proceed with CI for SSD and that is why it has not been brought up as an option for me. But I don't know, if the nerve is damaged then I have to go with BAHA which is also good.

donjehle

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 07:03:45 pm »
Hi Bob!

According to my ENT, I am also almost completely deaf in my AN ear.  Let us know what you find out after your visit with your ENT.  It used to be that they didn't do CI for SSD (and insurance wouldn't cover it unless there was significant hearing loss in both ears), but I'm not sure that is always the case today.  And that may be why your ENT did not bring it up.  But feel free to discuss it with your ENT.  He/she might be able to tell you if your insurance does cover that procedure.  It might be that BAHA is your best option.  But please do not hesitate to discuss all your options with your ENT.  They should strive to do what is best for you in your situation.

Best wishes on your visit!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

bob_neuroma

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 01:46:03 am »
Thank you Don,

I will update here when I get more information on my status.