Author Topic: form of harassment with co-worker  (Read 1619 times)

ginacollins

form of harassment with co-worker
« on: February 23, 2022, 07:15:45 am »
I work for a very small company. There are 4 of us in the office. There is a co-worker that keeps making comments about my hearing. She is always making smart comments about how I can hear and that it's just a ploy for me not to answer or hear her. I've gone to our manager several times about her behavior toward me with my hearing. I need to know is there another course of action that I can take to stop her? To me it is a sort of harassment or bullying. I truly just ignore her when she starts this. I do have an earphone in my good ear to listen to music, I can hear the noise of others in the office but can't make out the words, so I'll take out my earphone so I can hear what is being said and I will have to ask them at times to repeat what was said. The rest of the co-workers understand, they will come up to my desk to ask a question or call me. Another issue that does make it even harder is that we are required to wear a mask in the office so this makes is even more difficult to understand what is being said. Any help or info on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gina

donjehle

Re: form of harassment with co-worker
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 10:09:29 am »
Hi Gina!
y
Thanks for posting this.  And the comments your co-worker make are very inappropriate, and probably illegal.  Since you have gone to your manager several times about this, what other options do you have?  Is your company large enough to have a Human Resources person?  If so, I would go to them.  If not, who is above your manager?  I would go to that leader and share your concerns.  If that does not work, then there are governmental agencies which look out for those who have physical limitations, and even a small company has to abide by federal mandates.

I know of a company who was fined hundreds of thousands of dollars for someone in that company making fun of someone who was totally deaf. Now that company makes every effort to accommodate the deaf person's needs.

Please do not put up with that kind of treatment. 

I wish you the best in your future!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

lryan42

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 12:33:10 pm »
This is outrageous.  Are you in the USA?  Have you documented anything in writing yet?  If not, do so now.

Your own notes kept privately are important, as is the next step:

Carefully draft an email to your manager (and cc HR).  Without emotion,  clearly lay out the incidents with the dates (this can be approximate) and the harassing statements (use that word) as best you can.  Especially include the times you've spoken with your manager about these incidents.

A statement that "I enjoy my job however being repeatedly harrassed due to my ADA-recognized disability is not acceptable.   Please let me know what your plan to address this continuing issue is."

If you want to chat about this or send me a draft of your email, send me a DM.  This stuff really pisses me off and I'm an executive with experience on the "other side of the table" which may be a useful perspective.

So sorry you're dealing with this crap.

2017 - Mild vestibular symptoms. misdiagnosed. Normal hearing.
2018 - MRI w/o contrast: ambiguous. Normal hearing.
2019 - MRI /w contrast: 5mm x 4mm x 3mm AN.  Moderate hearing loss.
2020 - Completely SSD.
2022 - 6x4x4 mm with 3mm extension into cochlea and semicircular canals.  Surgery UCSD + CI.

donjehle

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 01:03:32 pm »
Whatever happened on this matter, Gina?

I have been hoping that you were able to have someone resolve the harassment for you.
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.