Author Topic: Any Suggestions on Finding a Good Audiologist?  (Read 2696 times)

donjehle

Any Suggestions on Finding a Good Audiologist?
« on: February 09, 2022, 06:05:01 pm »
I am looking at the possibility of getting a hearing aid, but I am struggling finding an audiologist with all that I need.  Some of the audiologists in my area only offer one or two brands of hearing aids (and they don't advertise that on their websites so you don't know until you are in their office that their offering is limited).  Others seem to vary in the thoroughness in their testing and offer more tests than others do.  Some have multiple audiologists on staff; other hearing centers only have one audiologist.  Experience among the audiologists varies greatly.  Some file insurance; others do not.  Hours of operation vary from one hearing center to another.  I am really having a challenge finding the audiologist who works best for my needs without going to each office.

Does anyone have any suggestions for finding a good audiologist?  How did you find yours?
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

TopGeekNJ

Re: Any Suggestions on Finding a Good Audiologist?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 09:19:25 pm »
I used my ENT's office for the hearing test then bought at a hearing aid center. How much hearing have you lost? What is the size of your tumor now? I ask because i wasted money on my hearing aid on my tumor side, as now i have to get it removed and will lose all my hearing in that ear.

bfoley

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 07:32:32 am »
My son is not an audiologist, but a HID (Hearing Instrument Dispenser) which is a state licensed practice.  He sells Starkey branded products in his office.  I believe they are truly cutting edge technology.  I am SSD, so I have a CROS system.  One thing he wants people in our situation to know is to look for a provider who uses "real ear" measurements.  The test gets you close to the best hearing, but then the shape of your inner ear can affect the sounds, so they use a microphone in the ear (with the aid in) to make the last subtle adjustments with the ear shape.  He says most providers do not offer this, so you may need to search for a provider if this is of interest to you. 

I opened our local news web and there is an article on the newest Starkey hearing aids. 
https://kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/locally-developed-hearing-aid-cuts-through-the-noise-and-masks-with-help-of-ai/

SSD is different than a "loss", so donjehle, you will be where I am now.  Its basically a mircophone that transmits sounds into an aid (which is basically a speaker if that ear does not have a loss) on the working side. 

donjehle

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 05:22:49 pm »
Thank you both for your responses.  I saw another audiologist, and she confirmed that I have SSD and that a hearing aid really wouldn't help me.  So, I will go in on March 15 to be fit for an Oticon CROS system.  So, I will be with you next month, bfoley!  The audiologist I chose uses "real ear measurements" although she said that it is not as important for me with the CROS system since the ear wearing the hearing aid has good hearing.  Did the audiologist offer real ear measurements for your CROS system, bfoley?

TopGeekNJ, since you have lost all your hearing in your AN ear, have you used a CROS system or gone with another way of hearing or are you making do with hearing with the one ear?

Thanks,
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

bfoley

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 06:38:03 am »
Hi donjehle -

The HID (my son) did use the real ear measurements which were minor adjustments - sound went to more "natural" (but not totally) from more mechanical.  Its hard to explain.  Also, in quieter settings, I can differentiate which side the sound comes from.  I have no idea how that works, just that it does. I do not know that most CROS system users get that.  Its all very interesting!

donjehle

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 10:17:35 am »
Thank you, bfoley, for your reply and for your help!  I guess I won't know until I am fitted on March 15 with my CROS system exactly what you are experiencing, but I am glad to hear that since I was not aware of it.

Thanks again!
Don
No treatment yet.