Author Topic: failure of gammaknife or late necrosis ? 18 months aftter GK  (Read 3595 times)

frenchgirl

failure of gammaknife or late necrosis ? 18 months aftter GK
« on: September 20, 2021, 11:25:46 am »
Hello,
First of all, sorry for my english, I am still french ! I've aged a bit since my last message, now I'm 36.
I had translab surgery in March 2018 for an AN of 3.2 cm.
A residue of about 1.3 cm remained. I was treated by Gammaknife in February 2020
During my last MRI (last week), the tumor had grown to 1.5 cm. The surgeon who first operated on me in transalb told me yesterday that for him Gammaknife did not work, otherwise there would be signs of necrosis (black in the center of the tumor on MRI) 18 months after the treatment. For him, the new growth of the tumor is not due to the gammaknife but to the regrowth of the tumor ... He tells me about a probable new operation (translab again...) following the next MRI in 6 months. I would like to know if some of you had the onset of necrosis following Gammaknife but late like me, that is to say 18 months after the treatment ?I have read that gamma knife can provide growths for up to 3.5 years, but do these growths show signs of necrosis early (at the same time), or it can come late. I'm afraid to be part of the 2% of people for whom Gammaknife fails ... :(
Thank you so much for your answers and your help, and sorry sorry for my bad english !
Melanie
3 X 3.5 X 2. 7 AN diagnosed 12/2017
03/2018 translab surgery ; facial nerve preserved ; hearing loss
02/2020 Gammaknife ; 0.499 cm3
11/2021 regrowth 1.032 cm3
09/2022 regrowth 1.579cm3  (1.2 X 1.7 X 1.7)
New surgery or new gammaknife ?

gbly

Re: failure of gammaknife or late necrosis ? 18 months aftter GK
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 09:21:48 pm »
frenchgirl,
I am so sorry to hear that the GK did not work.  That is never the news you want to hear.  We will wish you the best for the surgery if you decide to go that way.  I did not have late die off, but I have some facial weakness/issues.  Pick your poison I guess....

Was there a chance that they could do the radiation again and see if they can get the new area of the tumor?  Maybe the new growth can be radiated again? 
I wish you luck and please keep us posted. 
GB