Author Topic: Middle Fossa with Retrosigmoid??  (Read 3498 times)

amandajoy

Middle Fossa with Retrosigmoid??
« on: July 27, 2021, 02:35:55 pm »
Hello  :)

I am 32 yo woman who was diagnosed with an AN on in early July of this year. My AN is 1.3cm x 1.4cm and my hearing test confirmed that I have a lot of hearing still intact. I have lost the ability to hear high tones in my AN ear, but word recognition is still great. So, the doctors suggested I get surgery now while I have hearing to preserve. My surgery is tentatively scheduled for September 15, 2021.

I was surprised when my otologist suggested they would use the Middle Fossa AND Retrosigmoid approaches. He said this is because the tumor is inside and outside the internal auditory canal. I also think the fact that I have
hearing to save has something to do with the combined approaches.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm curious if the recovery will be harder. The doc didn't seem to think so. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
Amanda Joy
7/16/2021 1.3cm x 1.7cm AN (diagnosed)
8/1993 type 1 diabetic (diagnosed)

Cheryl R

Re: Middle Fossa with Retrosigmoid??
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 01:00:29 pm »
Your size of tumor is on the edge for mid fossa.        There are several who have had it.    There are no guarantee will save hearing but a chance.      I have had it on both sides due to NF2.    Worked on one side but not the other.       I have little pain with any of my surgeries as had translab once too.   Not dizzy but think my brain had compensated already.   Some off balance for a bit.   No headaches.     Not all drs do mid fossa.  Mine at Univ of Iowa does.    Everyone so varies with this.
                       Hard to know what is best decision.        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Greece Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 11:32:39 am »
I've never heard of a combined approach. I'd maybe ask how often they do this procedure. 
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

amandajoy

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 12:50:47 pm »
So, they said the combined approach gives them a couple of options. It could have the best chance of saving hearing. Especially since my tumor is kind of a heart shape inside and outside the inner ear canal. My doctor also said they want to make sure they don't leave any part of the tumor behind so that I don't need future surgery or radiation.

I have asked several different surgeons at University of Cincinnati (where I am having my surgery in 7 days) about it and I'm feeling a lot better about it. It isn't guaranteed that they will do both. They said it's a 50/50 chance. They will start with Middle Fossa and if they need to do Retrosigmoid, they will. I am told I have a 50-75% chance of saving hearing. Fingers crossed!
7/16/2021 1.3cm x 1.7cm AN (diagnosed)
8/1993 type 1 diabetic (diagnosed)

Greece Lover

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 08:19:20 am »
I guess that makes sense. Good luck on the best possible outcome!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.