Author Topic: Very confused Surgery or GK  (Read 3594 times)

Ron121

Very confused Surgery or GK
« on: April 06, 2021, 05:12:13 pm »
Hello,
i was diagnosed 1 week ago, with AN, 21mmx18mm ,im 52 left ear 30% hearing +tinnitus, no other symptoms.
i went to 3 neurosurgeons, 1st  one said GK , the other 2 recommended surgery, i managed to speak to Dr. Friedman from UCSD, who said surgery , tomorrow will have a zoom with him to gain more confidence.
Anyone who is/was in my shoes could share the experience ?
im gathering as much info as i can, and yet ,not an easy decision to make...
Thanks

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Very confused Surgery or GK
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 02:32:32 pm »
Not an easy decision....been there, done that. Once you have decided, the weight on your shoulders goes away. I listened to Friedman and had a translab surgery.

tsaff88

Re: Very confused Surgery or GK
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 03:24:33 pm »
My decision was in 2010 at the Cleveland Clinic. After separately talking to the Radiologist and the Neurosurgeon I opted for the GK because it is less invasive with minimal recovery and despite all the dire warnings from the surgical side about how a GK could complicate surgery if ever needed.  It felt like I was getting a sales pitch from the two sides. My ENT, Dr Weber, would not express an opinion either way. When the AN resumed growing 18 months later Dr Weber had moved on. Drs. Haberkamp (ENT) and Gonzalez-Martinez (Neuro) performed the translab surgery and reported that the tumor site was clean and showed no ill-effects from the GK.  It's been over eight years since the translab surgery and everything is stable.

During post-surgical discussions Dr. Haberkamp made the point that some doctors get attached to their preferred treatment method. The ideal situation is to have a doctor who determines what is best for each person's individual AN. Easier said than done.

Knowing what I know now I would make the same initial decision. I don't know what else to say other than make the decision that seems right to you, don't look back, and be at peace with it.

Best of luck!