Author Topic: Percentage of post-surgery complications  (Read 1994 times)

Lee Jantzen

Percentage of post-surgery complications
« on: November 18, 2020, 04:08:37 pm »
A recent MRI revealed a 26mm x 24mm x 24mm AN.  I am a 69 yr old male and will have surgery in 2 weeks to remove AN.  Are there any studies that provide a percentage of patients that have little post-surgery complications as compared to those who have on-going issues with recovery?  I do not want to be overly confident if the percentages show a slower recovery for older adults.

gbly

Re: Percentage of post-surgery complications
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 08:34:12 pm »
Lee,
Good luck and please keep us posted.  I did radiation so not sure on the recovery times after surgery.
GB

Greece Lover

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 09:03:28 am »
hopefully your doctor should provide some of those statistics if you asked.  They might vary from institution to institution.

Good luck! It's not easy, but we all get through it and there's a normal life waiting on the other side.
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

rlw16

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 06:26:44 pm »
I had surgery at 67 with a 2.9 cm tumor. I was very concerned about my age, but none of the doctors I consulted seemed to think it was a problem. I was also only three weeks removed from cancer treatment -- a surgery plus a month of radiation. I feel incredibly lucky to say I had a fast recovery. I especially worried (just behind fears about the big things -- facial paralysis, etc.) that I would never have my old energy back. I can honestly say fatigue was never a big issue, and within six months I could sometimes forget I just had brain surgery. Best of luck to you. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.