Author Topic: 30 days after AN Operation by Dr. Friedman and Dr. Swartz  (Read 2922 times)

phoebeyi

30 days after AN Operation by Dr. Friedman and Dr. Swartz
« on: July 01, 2020, 03:29:52 pm »
Tomorrow will be my 30th day post op (translab). Thought this is a good time to share my experience... the whole journey so far.

I am Phoebe, 52Y, living in San Jose, California. I am working for a wireless audio device company, specialized in TV headphones for hearing impaired (ironically :) ).

Back in 2018, I started to notice that my left ear hearing was not as good as the right. Dealing with hearing impaired customers everyday, I thought that's part of aging process and therefore, did not pay much attention to it.

In March, 2020, locked up at home, I started to feel that my left tongue and left lip were a bit numb. With some medical background myself, I diagnosed myself as having AN. Then I booked with my family doctor and was sent to take an MRI.

Mid March, 2020, the MRI confirmed that I have AN on my left side - size 2.8*2.6*2.5. With two close friends passed away due to brain cancer, I felt very lucky that I have a benign tumor rather than a cancerous one.

The next step of course was to figure out the treatment. Mine was too big to wait. To choose between an operation and radiation therapy was my task for April and May. I consulted with multiple doctors, from east coast to west coast. Eventually, we settled with Dr. Friedman's team. Dr. Friedman is very approachable, extremely efficient, experienced, and confident.

As you all know, the biggest concern about the AN removal operation for many, like myself, was the facial nerve damage.... I told the doctor that I would rather have another operation a few years down the line rather than get facial nerves affected. Dr. Friedman told me there is 1% chance for permanent damage and 6% for temp damage... So a lot of praying before the operation :). I really THANK GOD for giving me peace of mind before the big day.

My translab operation was done on 2nd, June (Tuesday) in UCSD by Dr. Friedman and Dr. Swartz. The operation took 7 hours (pushed into theater at 7.30 and woke up at 4.30). The first thing I did when woke up was - tried to smile. I was SOOO happy when I feel that I could smile as good as I ever have before :)) Dr. Swartz also told me that my tumor was 100% removed.

The second day, PT came, and helped me to walk. I did not feel much pain and took only one Tylenol a day in hospital. Overall, I didn't feel very uncomfortable after the operation. BIG thanks to Dr. Friedman, Dr. Swartz, and the whole team in UCSD.

Stayed in ICU for 3 days (due to Covid, empty hospital, I guess), I was released on Friday.

However, the first day back home was not that smooth. After a greedy hot shower, I passed out... and hit my head on the toilet.  I was sent back to emergency and got an MRI again to make sure my brain was still ok. Praise the Lord! I passed the hard drop test. After 13 hour of being observed in emergency, I was sent home again.

On day 8th, I went back to hospital, met my doctors again, and to get my stitches removed. Took a picture with Dr. Friedman. I will share some of my photos on youtube soon. Day 9th, my husband drove for 8h and we came back home.

I am getting better every day. Not too much pain all the way through. I only take 1-2 Tylenol before bed at night for the first 10 days. First week, I slept a lot, rested a lot. By the 3rd week, I was back to 85-90% of old me, although my mouth's left side taste is still not back.

Tomorrow is my 30th day post op. Now, I can walk the dog. I am 95-98% back, walking 10000+ steps per day and doing my routine exercise again :)

Of course, my left ear is deaf now. With my right ear only, I feel more sensitive to noise. If move my head quickly, I feel a bit weird. Other than that, I am good old me again.

Overall, this was a smooth journey so far. I THANK GOD for giving me good doctors and also my husband and family who have given me a lot of support during this hard time.

For friends who have similar challenge and out there with questions, I am very happy to answer any questions you have :)

rm516

• 'incremental improvements' everyday!
Re: 30 days after AN Operation by Dr. Friedman and Dr. Swartz
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 07:33:41 pm »
Wonderful outcome during this COVID environment! (where are those clapping emoji's when you need it the most  ;)
I hope the rest of the recovery journey is as smooth as the surgery.

Diagnosed AN in 2008,  3.2 cm CPA round, retrosigmoid surgery performed by Dr. M. Sisti, Columbia Pres.Hospital  NY, in Jan 2013, After surgery no major issues, Hearing retained (>50% ). However, 2 YRs post surgery MRI shows a further decrease in the size of residual AN! No GK or any therapy needed.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 01:16:36 pm »
Hi phoebeyi .....

So nice to read your awesome story!  Just keep walking, exercising, etc. as you are able but do remember to listen to your body when it is time to rest.  This is not a time to push through fatigue.

Drs. Friedman and Schwartz are wonderful physicians and as you say, you are on a smooth journey.

Best wishes for continued uneventful healing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

phoebeyi

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 02:13:47 pm »
Thanks, Clarice and rm516! I am working from home now. Take things easy. One side hearing makes me even more sensitive to noise and loud sound. It is a challenge when hearing sound outside as you have no idea where that is coming from. I am working in a company producing wireless audio device for hearing impaired. I hope our engineer can come up with some device to help me with this sense of sound direction issue... one day.

Apart from that, life is pretty much back to before. Actually, I even sleep better than before...not sure due to the fact that I am more relax now or healthier, no tumor in brain... or because I now realize every single day is actually a bless :) 

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 06:16:22 am »
Hi phoebeyi .....

Glad to know you are sleeping better than before surgery.  I would have to say the same because I mostly sleep with my "good" ear down and it shuts out exterior noises.

As for the directionality issue, because you now have only one functioning auditory nerve, you no longer have "stereo" sound.  As for the sensitivity to loud sounds, from what I have researched, this is a brain function.  It seems that the brain still wants to receive auditory signals from both sides and so it overcompensates when processing the single side sounds.  I have a bone-anchored hearing device (the abutment was placed at the same time as my translab surgery), which transmits sound via bone conduction from my deaf side to the good nerve on the other side.  To a small extent I can differentiate where sound is coming from by concentrating on the quality of the input of sound.  I have a Ponto 4 from Oticon Medical now and the sound quality is so good, I cannot usually tell the difference.  I still mostly do the 180 turn if someone calls my name.   :)  My husband still has to be reminded to tell me where he is when I ask "Where are you?" and not just "Here."  ::)

Keep us posted on the progress from your company's development in audio devices for single-sided deaf (SSD) people.

Best wishes, Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JD808

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 12:54:15 am »
Great result from the Dream Team. So happy to read you’re positive progress.
Diagnosed 1.5cm x .08cm x 1.1cm AN right ear 5/2018
Total hearing loss in right ear at 5/2018 and significant balance issues.
Translab surgery Friedman and Schwartz UCSD 7/18/18
80% tumor removal due to facial nerve adhesion
Balance issues solved, no facial nerve issues.

Fuzzy

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 07:56:17 pm »
Hi phoebeyi

I am 15 months post op and have a very similar story to yours.  Lost the hearing on one side, balance came back pretty good, walking several miles a week and an overly sensitive good ear.  Things have not changed much over the months and I really was not expecting much change.  It would be nice if the good ear was not so sensitive, but compared to the alternative.

I agree with the comment that you might sleep better because you are deaf on one side and could be sleeping on that side more often, I know I do.  My wife sometimes scares the heck out of me when I am sleeping with my good ear down.

My surgery was at Mayo (MN) and I agree with you, thank God for the talent of these doctors to heal.

I hope you continue on your path.

Fuzzy