Author Topic: Proton Beam Radiation  (Read 245 times)

KeepSmiling

• details about patient written by wife.
Proton Beam Radiation
« on: May 27, 2020, 10:14:03 am »
Why is it that no-one is considering Proton Beam Radiation? If you search under Keep Smiling , you will see that my husband's proton beam treatment at Mass General was successful. Acoustic neuroma was previously 1.5 cm and was last measured as .5 cm , after treatment.  No side effects during treatment and after treatment. We are not up to date on current technology about Proton Beam radiation but it seems that the ANA Discussion Forum might be enhanced if it included more details about this as an option.
12/O6/2O12: 1.5 cm lesion.Proton Therapy-July/Aug, 2013 Massachusetts General Hospital. 2/23/2018 MRI: 1. Small .5 cm x(AP) x .8 cm (TV) x .8 cm (CC )left intracanicular acoustic schwannoma) Completely deaf in one ear. Occasional tinnitus. Zero side effects.

sycamore

Re: Proton Beam Radiation
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 02:06:53 pm »
After doing a lot of reading, it seems to me that Proton has the advantage of less radiation to healthy tissue when the beam enters a tumor and doesn't exit it.

But Proton doesn't seem as accurate for targeting a small/medium tumor compared to Gamma or Cyber.

So I don't know taking everything into account which would give a patient the best results with the least collateral damage. I'm glad that you and your husband (Keepsmiling) had such a great result.

But I am not a radiation expert and I can't find much written about this.

Why hasn't ANA had any Proton talks I wonder?

anything