Author Topic: Post trans lab surgery pain in my eye  (Read 7957 times)

Pbellovin

Post trans lab surgery pain in my eye
« on: December 04, 2019, 12:15:36 pm »
I am 4 months post trans lab surgery and when I am driving if the sunlight, air conditioning or heat hits my eye I feel pain and have a very scratchy feeling like sand in my eye. I have to close my one eye while driving to eliminate the symptoms. Does anyone else have this problem and what can I do about it?  Any help would be appreciated

Jill Marie

Re: Post trans lab surgery pain in my eye
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 07:45:52 pm »
Hi, I was wondering if you have issues with your eye besides when you're driving?  Generally if you feel pain in your eye from, sunlight, A/C or heat it means your eye is very dry or possibly infected.  If your eye is okay the rest of the time I'm not sure what is going on.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

jami

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 10:05:41 am »
HI,

I still get a sandy feeling in my right eye at times, when tired or stressed. My non-medical assessment is that the nerve is somehow 'inflamed' (when tired, as well, if i suck on a straw the upper eyelid twitches at bit too).

that said, it might be a good idea to see a ophthalmologist, or schedule your next opthalmology appointment early. They can see "inside" the eye to identify any issues specific to the eye.

Jami
Jami
-----
5/17/18: 2.7 x 2.2 x 2.1cm
8/12/18 right retrosigmoid craniotomy @UNC
8/15/18: 1.0 x 0.4 x 0.4 cm
3/04/19: 1.0 x 0.8 x 0.5 cm
4/23/19 Cyber Knife treatment
10/23/19 0.7 x 0.3 x 0.8 cm

chrisabbott

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 05:56:16 pm »
If you haven't already done so, I urge you to get to a good eye doctor.  I had a gritty feeling and my eye was very uncomfortable after my surgery.  Turned out my eyelid had stuck to my cornea likely due to dry eye, dry hospital air, poor closure when sleeping, and not sleeping for about 50 hours (ack the steroids!).

When I had my eye doc look at it, she said I was very close to getting an ulcer, and I had reduced cornea sensation so the damage was actually worse than I suspected.  I had the hardest time driving too - if you have damage on your cornea, the sunlight is pretty horrid and you can't just look the other way if you're driving.

I am in much better shape now but it took several months of contact bandages, prescription eye drops, and now scleral lenses to get me there.  I hope you have access to good care for your eyes - you may have to give up ear function, shouldn't lose and eye too!
Strange tastes, facial numbness symptoms led to MRI 3/2019: 2.4 x 3.2 x 2.6 cm VS on left side
Left hearing went 4/2019
Translab 06132019:  1.4 x 2.4 x 1.6 cm residual stuck to facial nerve & brain stem
MRI 12122019:  1.6 x 3.2 x 2.3 cm
Translab 01132020:  0.1 x 0.75 x 0.57 + 1.5 x 0.5 cm
GK next

JLR

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 03:34:52 am »
Me too! And I’m 3 years post retrosigmoid right. I use preservative drops several times a day. It’s gotten better but still bothered by complications from surgery. Good luck.