Author Topic: Long term watch and wait  (Read 4441 times)

Brentwood

Long term watch and wait
« on: November 09, 2019, 01:22:18 pm »
I was diagnosed with a hemangioma located in the Internal Auditory canal which has eroded my cochlear about 12 years ago. I had hearing loss , vertigo and facial weakness for about 5 years prior to diagnosis that was mis diagnosed as Ménière’s disease and bells Palsy. At my yearly check up last week with the otologist at Mass Eye and Ear I mentioned I thought have further weakness - when I puff out my cheeks the affected size wasn’t as puffed out as it usually was. The Dr also commented on my synkinesis . He sent me for CT , MRI and hearing test. The size of the tumor is stable , However there has been modeling of the bone in the canal which means there is virtually no free space. He thinks it is time to consider surgery - mid fossa approach . I am curiousl if others have had surgery recommended when the tumor size is stable but there decline in hearing and facial function?

v357139

Re: Long term watch and wait
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 09:48:34 pm »
I was not in your position.  But if you are feeling unsure, then another opinion could be a good idea.  When considering surgery, then at least two opinions is always a good idea.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!