Author Topic: Coughing after translab durgery  (Read 1879 times)

Pbellovin

Coughing after translab durgery
« on: July 07, 2019, 12:53:32 am »
I am 2 weeks post op of translab surgery and 3 days ago I developed a terrible barking cough. I’m in a rehab facility and am being given Mucinex daily and a breathing treatment 2 to 3 times daily. Nothing seems to be eliminating the cough. Oh, and I also developed a case of thrush on the left side of my mouth, tongue, gums, and throat that is just now starting to go away after a week. Has anyone experienced any of this, and if so, how is it being treated?  I’m having my stitches removed tomorrow so I’ll discuss all of this with my neurotologist, but I was just wondering if I’m alone with these post op side effects

JD808

Re: Coughing after translab durgery
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 02:02:00 pm »
I developed a thrush post translab, but it was associated with a steroid treatment being used to address another issue. It eventually went away in about 2 weeks.

As for the cough, it was one of my fears going into surgery. I really wanted to avoid any kind of cold that might have me coughing, sneezing or anything else that might trigger a CSF leak. I’m sorry you are dealing with it.
Diagnosed 1.5cm x .08cm x 1.1cm AN right ear 5/2018
Total hearing loss in right ear at 5/2018 and significant balance issues.
Translab surgery Friedman and Schwartz UCSD 7/18/18
80% tumor removal due to facial nerve adhesion
Balance issues solved, no facial nerve issues.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 03:21:10 pm »
I coughed for years post-surgery. In my case it was because of the trauma to the left side trigeminal nerves, particularly the control of the involuntary muscles of the throat.  None of my doctors had seen this before, but then they hadn't performed a 32-hour brain surgery before. Also, the left side vocal fold was paralyzed, adding to the mix - continual/frequent coughing, swallowing problems, and no voice.

Eventually it all improved dramatically. Not a 100% but certainly in the high 80s.

-Tod

Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Kristena

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 09:52:20 am »
I developed a cough and sore throat for several months afterward and had my throat scoped. They determined I was experiencing acid reflux due to inadequate throat closure because of my facial paralysis. The frequent coughing improved, but the acid reflux became quite severe - especially at night. It's much improved now, but I still find myself choking on my own saliva every once in a while even after 6 years.
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!