Author Topic: Sailing after Translab Surgery?  (Read 6312 times)

William Worsley

Sailing after Translab Surgery?
« on: July 05, 2019, 08:55:42 am »
I had translab surgery on March 26 for a 2.5 cm AN.  I did visual and balance PT before surgery and for two months after surgery and now have no issues walking, bike riding, normal activities, dizziness or vertigo, except for PT of walking 20 steps with eyes closed and standing on one foot with eyes closed for more than 10 secs.  Prior to the surgery, I was a very avid offshore sailor.  Does anyone have experience with balance issues or comfort level for sailing after AN surgery?   

Surfer

Re: Sailing after Translab Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 04:08:53 pm »
My two cents: I was an avid sailor and spent significant time solo sailing. My condition has changed since surgery and I'm pretty sure my three year progress has stabilized.  I would no longer consider solo sailing in the open ocean or any cold water body because of my new limitations.  Could I sail? Yes, under the correct circumstances.  I ride a motorcycle,  surf, work on ladders- that's the positive news. The negative news is I depend a lot on my vision and feel to remain balanced.  In the dark, my ability is greatly compromised.  When I lose my balance, its difficult and sometimes impossible to recover like before the operation.  Not hearing out of one ear also creates crew sailing communication problems where split second responses can be life changing.  I hope you are experiencing greater recovery than me and you are able to return to your passion. I've got surfing. I cant do it at the same level, but when I fall, it's pretty forgiving.
February 2016- 4.6 cm removed at Sloan Kettering NY by Dr. Gutin and Dr. Selesnick.  Residual left behind to preserve the facial nerve. Two year MRI indicates a shrinking of the residual. Three year MRI indicates no change in size.