Author Topic: re: Nimodopine to Improve Facial Nerve Outcomes  (Read 4164 times)

TotemCarver

re: Nimodopine to Improve Facial Nerve Outcomes
« on: November 09, 2018, 08:26:03 pm »
I made a long post in the "Pre-Treatment Options" forum on "Nimodopine to Improve Facial Nerve Outcomes". It really doesn't fit well in any of the existing categories but rather than cross-post it in multiple places I'm inviting you to read and respond to it in "Pre-Treatment Options". The reason it sort of belongs there is because it is a treatment that you would likely start before your primary AN/VS treatment. The idea of using nimodipine would be for its potential neuroprotective benefits to reduce facial/trigeminal (and other cranial nerve) nerve damage that may result from radiation or surgery.

The use of nimodipine in conjunction with the treatment of ANs is not FDA approved but I think the research is very promising and earlier this year the Congress of Neurological Surgeons issued the following guidance: “... there appears to be a consistent positive effect of treatment with vasoactive agents, specifically nimodipine, on the outcome of the facial nerve over the long term and potentially on hearing preservation. Although IV therapy is likely more efficacious, oral therapy may be of use as well ... Further research is needed to ascertain the true effect of vasoactive treatments for perioperative improvement in long-term facial nerve and cochlear nerve outcomes; however, treatment may be considered to attempt to achieve this effect in one’s individual practice currently.” The research on the use of nimodipine with AN treatment is on surgical, not radiation, treatment but I think, in principle, it could be helpful to people who are planning to have radiosurgery/radiotherapy.

I made the post to get some feedback and to bring this treatment to the attention of other AN patients after I got zero hits when I searched for nimodipine in the ANA forums. Please don't respond here but please feel free to reply to the post in the "Pre-Treatment Options" category.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:28:55 pm by TotemCarver »
Heterogenously enhancing lesion (20 x 18 mm max. axial dimensions) based at the pontomedullary junction with extension into the IAC with a cystic appearing component and very early mass effect on the left lateral brainstem without edema. Consistent with VS
Dx date: Sept. 19, 2018

mwatto

Re: re: Nimodopine to Improve Facial Nerve Outcomes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 01:40:40 am »
Only read this now post CK. Thank you though its really interesting!
Michele
20 x19x14mm Cystic AN diagnosed Feb 2019. CK.
Mri 2019 shrinking: 18x17x13 mm.
Mri 2020 - no cysts visible stable.
MRI 2021 stable no change
MRI 2022 stable no change.
MRI 2023 Further reduction 12x12x10mm!! Hearing 85%
MRI 2024: No change AN or hearing