Author Topic: What are the statistics for risks from Gamma Knife?  (Read 3984 times)

CA Marti

What are the statistics for risks from Gamma Knife?
« on: August 04, 2021, 12:04:43 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I just got done with my second consultation with a gamma knife radiologist. He stated that the risk of facial neuropathy is less than 1% and the risk of further growth, i.e. treatment failure is less than 2%. He stated that the risk of malignant transformation is 1 in 10,000. What are the statistics you were given? These all seem like very low rates compared to what I've read recently. Maybe the machines have changed since the articles I've read were published? Some articles I've read stated a 1-3% chance of facial weakness, some stated a 2% chance, one stated a 1.5% chance, another a 3% chance.another a 1.5-2% chance. Most of these were all at least a 1% chance. What were the statistics you've found? He also stated only a 2% chance it would still grow at 10 and 20 years. I've read there is a 10-12% chance it would grow in 10 or 20 yrs. What statistics have you found?
Thanks!

CA Marti
Marti

Diagnosed 5/28/2021 10.5mmX8.5mmX6mm
Next MRI   11/22/2021 10mmX8mmX6mm
MRI           12/9/2022   5mmX6mmX7mm

Stela

Re: What are the statistics for risks from Gamma Knife?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 01:06:00 am »
Buna ziua!Am fost la consultatie la neurochirurg care mi a recomandat operatia chirurgicala pentru ca neurinomul meu a crescut intr un an 3,8 mm ( de la 8,2 mm la 12 mm)!!! Ma gandeam la gamma knife , in Italia de regula neurinoamele mici asa vin tratate in ultimii ani!? Orice sfat este binevenit!!!!

(Translation provided by moderator)

"Hello! I went to the consultation with a neurosurgeon who recommended surgery because my neurinoma grew in a year 3.8 mm (from 8.2 mm to 12 mm) !!! I was thinking about the gamma knife, in Italy usually small neuromas are treated this way in recent years !? Any advice is welcome !!!!"
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 09:47:37 am by MarlaB »

CA Marti

Re: What are the statistics for risks from Gamma Knife?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 11:33:03 pm »
Ciao,
I actually speak a bit of Italian, as my father was born there. Mi displace che anche in un positione difficile. I don’t know if I can give advice as I’m just trying to discover what to do as well. I can share what I’ve read. I was thinking that if mine grows slowly then I probably will do gamma knife, but if there is aggressive growth I may tend to choose surgery. This is because I read that sometimes if there is aggressive growth then gamma may have a larger chance of not working for you. If you were to do surgery I would definitely only go to surgeons who see a lot of patients and are highly skilled, such as at UCSD San Diego, CA or The House Institute in LA, CA. Also, I believe the statistics are better overall for complications with gamma knife but maybe the risk of it still growing is a 10% chance in 10 years. I have heard that the risk of balance problems after gamma knife is about 20%. What are the risks with gamma knife that you were told? Also, if gamma knife doesn’t work to stop growth it may make surgery more difficult. I hope this information helps a little. It is a difficult decision to make. Good luck with everything. 
Marti

Diagnosed 5/28/2021 10.5mmX8.5mmX6mm
Next MRI   11/22/2021 10mmX8mmX6mm
MRI           12/9/2022   5mmX6mmX7mm