Author Topic: Translation ...  (Read 4491 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Translation ...
« on: November 17, 2006, 12:07:25 pm »
Hi All,

I picked up my sugical records are there are a few parts I can't translate very well. Anyone out there that can convert Doc-Speak to English?

"Despite a considerable amount of CSF evacuation, the base and size of the tumor, there was still fullness to the cerebellum which limited accessibility"

"A large branch of AICA was indentified draped across the tumorcapsule"

"Multiple dialating neins were identified along the tumor capsule and either pole, draining directly into the superior petrosal vein"

From surgery #2

"There appeared to be signifigant degree of adhesions of the dura to to the underlying cerebellum. There was also signifigant amount of scar formation identified at the level of the capsule and cerebellum"

"There was also noted to be a tremendous amount of scar formation right at the porous acusticus"

"It should be noted that during dissection of the tumor, complete loss of electrical stimulation of cranial nerve seven was encountered. After waiting for approximatly 5 minutes by the clock, return of stimulation was obtained"

"aat this point, further piecemeal resection was performed and an incision was made to leave the residual tumor capsule adherent to the nerve secondary to the possibility of anatomical nerve disruption"

Thanks to anyone who can help me understand this jibberish   :)   

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Translation ...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 12:16:10 pm »
scottie,
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/mplusdictionary.html is a medical dictionary that helped me translate my surgical report. I have it bookmarked and use it alot.
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

tony

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 12:45:29 pm »
Not all gibberish - if I have got it right - they were very concerned at one point
that the function of the 7th nerve might be lost for good
They were monitering it during the op - and it went quiet.
They eased back and waited till it fired up again
- then started work again, but slowly
These are/were long surgeries and taken too fast - more damage can/could  be done
Not so sure about the rest - but I think they may have been refering
to your earlier surgeries
Best regards
Tony

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 01:43:37 pm »
Thanks Tony. So no response from from cranial nerve 7 would mean what?

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 01:58:43 pm »
I understand it to mean that during the course of your surgery, which typically includes monitoring of the facial nerve for electrical activity, your facial nerve ceased to respond to stimulation by the monitor. This was a signal to the doctors to pause for 5 minutes in the hope that function would resume. Apparently, it did resume functioning.

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 02:57:42 pm »
Scott,
  To monitor your facial nerve during surgery, they stick a couple if needle-like electical probes into your face, I believe it's usually the upper lip area, and send a slight current through them, and monitor the facial nerve for a response on a scope.  If the physical monitoring tech notices a change in the reponse, they will inform the surgeon.  It sounds like that happened during your surgery.  They do somthing similar to monitor the hearing response, by stimulating a hearing nerve se with a small speaker in the ear that "thumps", which translates to a observable waveform (a blip) on the monitor.  Electrical monitoring apparently has gone a long way in informing surgeons in real time when they begin to compromise a facial or hearing nerve.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

tony

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 01:36:47 am »
I agree with the respnses
 - and it may have meant either tempoary, or ongoing, one-side facial loss
Actually the facial nerve seems to be one of the more durable nerves