Author Topic: New, SSHL rule out AN  (Read 3338 times)

BohoSD

New, SSHL rule out AN
« on: February 27, 2018, 08:59:41 pm »
Hello everyone!

My husband as of 9 days ago lost his hearing in the right ear. We are in day 7 of high-dose oral steroids and our 2nd intra-tympanic injection of steroids. MRI is scheduled for next week. I joined this forum due to the slight chance this could be an acoustic neuroma. My concern is that he complains of right facial parathesia.. which does not sound totally like SSHL. I have thumbed through a bit of your posts, and I'm curious if high-dose steroids initially improved your hearing (my thoughts are that they should decrease the inflammation by and/or neuroma= improvement in hearing). However, he  has not seen any improvement in hearing, tinnitus, head ache, "unbalanced sensation" or facial parathesia w/ 7 days of steroids. The wait for the MRI is dreadful!!!

Wishing you all the best

ayalaman

Re: New, SSHL rule out AN
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 12:05:28 am »
Hi . I joined for the same reason but my MRI was negative . I lost all hearing in my left ear two months ago on my way to work .  It was sudden and vertigo hit me 4 hours later . I was on steroids for 14 days with one ear injection but, the hearing didn't improve at all. I was told by my doctor that it was viral and nothing can be done. the tinnitus is bad but I'm starting to learn how to deal with it. My dizziness is slowly getting better. I am going tomorrow to see a hearing aid doctor to talk about my options . I'm leaning toward the Oticon Medical Ponto 3 Bone Anchored aid. I hope the best for him ...

Thanawart

Re: New, SSHL rule out AN
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 10:13:29 pm »
New, SSHL rule out AN makes me understand these stories more.