Author Topic: After 23 years I have loud ringing just like before my AN was removed  (Read 1651 times)

along

23 years ago I had an extremely large Acoustic Neuroma removed.  It was pressing on my main brain stem.  They had to remove part of my hearing nerve and my equilibrium. I have lived a pretty normal life except for hearing loss and balance issues. These past 2 weeks I have noticed a loud ringing in my head on the AN side. The same loud noise I heard BEFORE I had my AN removed. Is this something I should be concerned over, like maybe my AN has grown back??? Has anyone else experienced this years after their AN was removed??  I am totally freaking out that my AN has grown back.  The last time I had a MRI was 15 years ago.  The DR told me that if my AN grew back, I would be dead from old age before it would hurt me.

alan321

Re: After 23 years I have loud ringing just like before my AN was removed
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 07:19:15 pm »
I believe that when you develop new symptoms you should
consult your physician
I dont want to scare you but you should call your doctor and
have new MRI , But I hope for the best

good luck to you my friend and keep us informed

Joan Mingo

Re: After 23 years I have loud ringing just like before my AN was removed
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 04:51:19 pm »
Ringing in the ears, tinnitis, is fairly comon for anyone. It is not strictly associated with ANs. Still a good idea to check in with your Dr. to be on the safe side as well as putting your mind at ease. Try not to worry too much. Many things can bring on tinnitus, including stress, medications and sometimes no known reason. If you wear a hearing aid, see your audiologist  about devices to help it which includes "white noise" which helps mask it.
ANA diagnosed Dec 2016
14x4mm schwanoma left ear
75% hearing loss- 12% recognition remaining
Watch and Wait