Author Topic: Help  (Read 6061 times)

Justasis

Help
« on: November 15, 2006, 10:27:16 pm »
Hello everyone.  I have never done this before and I hope I'm doing it right.  I'm needing some support here and was hoping you guys could help me out.  Please let me know if I'm being heard.  Thanks!

Boppie

Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 11:52:09 pm »
Got it!  We are here.  Post your concerns.

Laura

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 10:57:20 am »
You are coming through loud and clear and you have come to the right place if you have AN concerns and/or questions.
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 04:00:29 pm »
Justasis,
   We hear you, Are you there?? Don't be shy.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Justasis

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 06:22:00 am »
Thanks for answering.  I feel kind of awkward because I'm not a patient but a sister of a wonderful lady who was diagnosed a year ago and is going downhill quickly.  We have a doctor appointment today and I should more know more today.  I have a feeling after today's appointment I will need some support.  We have no other family so I'm on my own and need some help and input on how to help my sister as much as possible  Thanks for listening and say have us in your thoughts today.

Obita

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 06:48:19 am »
Hi Justasis:

Your sister's AN must be growing.  I would think they will order another MRI if they did not already.

Good luck today and please let us know how the appointment goes.  We are here for you and her.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 07:25:00 am »
Justasis,
  It's great that you can help support your sister.  One thing you can do is help be her advocate with the medical community.  Sometimes it's hard  for the patient to hear everything that's discussed by the doctors after they say something like, " You may need brain surgery".  While your sister is getting used to what the doctors are saying, she may forget to ask questions that she had wanted to ask.  You can help by being there to help write down everything that the doctors are telling you, and remembering to ask the questions that you both have thought about.  Best of luck to you and your sister.  She's lucky to have you around.
Regards,
 Rob 
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Laura

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 08:26:32 am »
Justasis. You are doing a wonderful thing by supporting your sister. She will need you to get though this. Please let us know how the appointment goes today. We will be thinking of you both!

Laura
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 08:45:51 am »
I wish I had a sister like you!  Please let us know how we can help you and your sister.  You'll find we are one big extended family!

Keeping you in my prayers today!

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 09:20:58 am »
Justasis,
    God Bless you.  Your sister is very fortunate to have you by her side. Let us know what you discovered from the Docs. You will find  a lot of support here.

Patti U
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Justasis

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 05:54:01 pm »
Thank you all so much.  I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes, feeling this relief that I have someone to talk to.  My sister went through brain surgery a year ago and gamma radiation 2 months ago.   Today, we went in with a list of questions.  She was put on full time disability today which was hard for her but so necessary. They are doing an MRI tomorrow (on a Saturday) which has us both a little freaked out.  I told my friends at work that I have found a group of people to talk to on line that are going through what we're going through and they all agreed it was a good thing.  I hope I'm posting things right on here.  I'll let you all know how the MRI goes.  Thank you again for your kind words.  They mean more to me than you'll ever know.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 08:06:55 pm »
Justasis,
Please know that we are here for you and your family. If you could give us a little more information it would be helpful--there may be some folks here treated by the same surgeons and radiosurgeons. What size was/is your sisters tumor and where was she treated? And do remember it can take a while for the tumor to show signs of necrosis after Gamma knife. Was her tumor initially debulked and then zapped or did she have a regrowth? The more we know about your sisters case, the more helpful we can be.
Hugs,
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Pembo

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 09:26:17 am »
Justasis, Just type away and we'll listen. Not a lot rules to message boards other than being polite. Welcome.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 11:11:35 am »
Jusasis,

It is nine in the morning and we will "check-in" about the MRI and everything.  There is occasional "spam" on this forum.  We ignore and report it.  I'm not, JUSTASIS, I'm "Justanewbie!   8)  Give me a week and I will be a *postie* but, I'm here for you anyway.  I have learned lots about AN since last summer when I was getting diagnosed.   ;)

Hugs,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Justasis

MRI
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 02:18:32 pm »
Hello Everyone - My sister had surgery at Carle Hospital and her surgeon was Dr. Rak.  I withhold my feelings towards the man.  The tumor was much larger than they thought going in.  It was attached to many nerves and pushing on her braincell.  Nerves were cut during the surgery and she lost her ability to swallow.  She was on a feeding tube for months.  She refuses to go back on a feeding tube but her swallowing is getting much worse.  Her tumor started growing back about 8 months after the surgery and we were told it is now a "fast growing tumor". They said her tumor was a "complicated" turmor and they were reluctant to do the gamma radiation.  The MRI went okay hopefully we'll get some good news on Monday or Tuesday.