Author Topic: My tumor is a little smaller than I thought....bummer  (Read 4872 times)

amymeri

My tumor is a little smaller than I thought....bummer
« on: November 15, 2006, 10:50:41 am »
I finally got my MRI report (I never wanted to read it until now) and found out my tumor was smaller than I originally thought.  The radiologist said about 4cm but it is 2.5x3.0x3.5.  It was compressing the pons and brainstem significantly and also the 4th ventricle.  Here is the strange part...I am kind of disappointed it isn't as large as I thought.  Its bizarre because it is gone now but with all I had to go through, I wanted it to be at least that big.  Its kind of borderline for GK and I would have much preferred that to surgery...so I guess my inner idiot feels that if its just a little too big for GK then that makes me a little crazy...so better to be a monster.

Just venting.  Its a little beside the point, but it bugged me all morning.
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Re: My tumor is a little smaller than I thought....bummer
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 11:55:06 am »
WOW!  Not sure how to reply.  I would think you would be greatful the thing is not enormous
 My understanding is the huge ones are usually pushing on the brainstem and are quite life threatening. The smaller ones allow a little time to decide on treatment.  Although I have read that the larger ones have already pressed on the balance nerve enough that the body sometimes has already done alot of compensating so the balance issues aren't as severe after surgery. It really is different for each indivudal though.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 01:23:11 pm »
That's still a good size tumor,  DOES SIZE REALLY MATTER?????  lol  lol lol (I've heard it's the motion).
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 01:28:14 pm »
That's so true. Look at my case. Although I came through the ordeal much better than anyone would have expected, I still got screwed. I suffered and I'm very fortunate to have gotten through as well as I did. Things would probably have been much different if I had received treatment long before it grew to the 5cm mark. No hydrocephalus or shunt for one thing. I let it go way too long.

Ã‚               Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 02:18:29 pm »
amymeri:

Like Crazycat, I had a large AN (4.5cm and pressing on my brainstem) that was discovered far later than I would have preferred.  I was fortunate that I did not develop hydrocephalus or have many complications, post-op.  However, I can understand the feeling that - if you had to go through invasive surgery - you would like to think it was the only viable option, as it was in my case. 

Well, as you noted, at least the tumor is gone, now.  That should brighten up your outlook.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

amymeri

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 04:19:40 pm »
I know it is screwed up and at the time I was kind of glad I didn't have to make a decision....surgery was my only option and the choice I did get to make was "this month or next month".  I don't claim to be logical...I think it just goes to show you how this experience messes with your mind in more ways than one!

When I asked why I had such a big tumor with no auditory symptoms at all my NS said "just lucky I guess".  I wish I had been lucky enough to find the tumor when it was tiny. 

Just having a bad brain tumor day. :o
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 07:14:37 pm »
I learned that my tumor was actually bigger than the 3.5 cm I thought it was.  My husband said the doctors told him during surgery that my tumor was bigger than they thought.  I don't know how much bigger though.  I was told I needed to have surgery soon also.  I had it a month after meeting with the doctors.  Guess I really did need to have the surgery.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 09:38:05 pm »
Amy, it's cool to vent... and as we always share here this bit of info... never look back on the procedure you had done. You had done what was best to do at the time.. and to try to look back on it now, in heinsight (did I spell that right?) can really be a difficult thing to overcome.  I'm just glad you had done what needed to be done... and that you are here and active and doing the best you can. To me, that is a blessing and 1/2! :)

Hang tough!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Windsong

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 10:09:17 pm »
Good to hear you are doing well..... :)

As for findiing Ans while "tiny" that would mean dcotors "listening" and aslo MRIs with contrast right from the get-go.....

I hope all Aners coming after us us do get that.

Windsong

I know it is screwed up and at the time I was kind of glad I didn't have to make a decision....surgery was my only option and the choice I did get to make was "this month or next month".  I don't claim to be logical...I think it just goes to show you how this experience messes with your mind in more ways than one!

When I asked why I had such a big tumor with no auditory symptoms at all my NS said "just lucky I guess".  I wish I had been lucky enough to find the tumor when it was tiny. 

Just having a bad brain tumor day. :o