Author Topic: Dry eye, nose and mouth  (Read 6707 times)

Zan

Dry eye, nose and mouth
« on: October 13, 2017, 11:17:03 am »
My tumor was a little Different  most, and I am having a hard time researching my issues. My tumor was located on my facial nerve instead of in the IAC.
Dry eye was my first symptom and started 2 years ago. I had my surgery a little over 2 weeks ago and my dry eye is slightly worse than it was before. I assume that part of it is due to swelling. With effort, I can close my eye, but I don't blink all the way without working at it. But I also don't make tears, at all. Drops are practically pointless and only give me relief for a few minutes and I often use the nighttime gel during the day.
In addition to my dry eye on my tumor side (left side) my nose and mouth are also dry on that side. Again, I had these symptoms pre-surgery but it is worse now.
Does anyone else have these issues and have you found any relief?

LakeErie

Re: Dry eye, nose and mouth
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 08:27:03 pm »
Did you have steroids after your surgery? If you did, it is possible to have delayed complications once tapered off the steroids as inflammation and swelling recur.
Have you told your surgeon's office? Would a course of steroids be advisable?
Have you seen an ophthamologist about protecting your eye? I had a punctal plug inserted and it prevented any damage to my cornea until I could again close my eye and blink normally. The punctal plug blocks your tear duct and slows drainage of tear film. The silicone plug is easily removed when no longer needed
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Zan

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 09:34:22 pm »
I did have steroids and I am sure that some of my increased symptoms have occurred due to swelling. However, the dry eye, nose and mouth have been symptoms long before my surgery. I curious if anyone else has experienced the additional issues of dry nose and mouth.

Sanderson

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 10:47:41 pm »
Yes! I have dry eye, mouth, and nose—all on my left side. I went to the dentist and had my teeth coated, like a toddler’s, to prevent enamel erosion. I also use all the dry mouth products—Biotin mouthwash, spray, and lozenges. My tastebuds are messed up. Potatoes chips used to be my guilty pleasure. Now they taste like nothing.

My tear duct was plugged to keep the tears in and I wear an eye patch to prevent cornea damage. I take the patch off to drive. I’ve been to the ophthalmologist 4 or 5 times in the last 3 months. I developed terrible dry spots on my cornea in the first two weeks post surgery. I realize I’m the only one walking around with an eye patch but I do not want lasting damage. I am only a little over 3 months post surgery.

As for my nose—well it doesn’t run on the left side. I’m not going to worry about it unless there is some issue I’m not aware of right now.

I will look into a scleral lens for my eye if I don’t make improvements shortly. How long should I wait?
Sara
Acoustic Schwannoma surgery March 28, 2018
Sutter Medical Center in Sacramento
Deaf in left ear
Facial paralysis on left side
Balance is fine thanks to walking three energetic dogs everyday and yoga twice a week!

Jill Marie

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 11:33:57 am »
While you are waiting to see if your dry eye improves and not yet ready to try the scleral lens you could use what I use, the Acuvue Oasys with Hydraluxe daily use lens.  If your eye doctor agrees you can get the lenses right away, no special measurements like the scleral lens.  The lens costs about a dollar a day, your eye will thank you.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

JLR

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 04:29:52 am »
Hi Sara, re dry nose: I am 20 months post op and my right nostril finally gets a little moist. Doesn't run yet but it's getting there so I know exactly how you feel. I still use preservative free eye drops during the day and ointment at night. It's a very long journey. I'm thankful for this site. So much good helpful advice.  Joan

Sanderson

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 01:07:20 pm »
How often do you see an ophthalmologist to see if you have dry spots on your cornea? Are eye drops during the day and ointment at night enough protection?
Sara
Acoustic Schwannoma surgery March 28, 2018
Sutter Medical Center in Sacramento
Deaf in left ear
Facial paralysis on left side
Balance is fine thanks to walking three energetic dogs everyday and yoga twice a week!

JLR

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 05:08:04 am »
The first 6 months after surgery my eye was patched as well at night. I saw my eye dr monthly. Now I see him every 2-3 months. The eye dr checks for dryness. Initially I had many dry spots on cornea but that thankfully cleared up. I suppose eye care will be a forever task. Oh, and I have deafness on right side too. I find that a makeup change kinda helps i.e lipstick and blush.  I no longer can wear eye makeup.