Author Topic: Dr. John Andrew Boockvar and Lenox Hill Hospital  (Read 2606 times)

Carolgre

Dr. John Andrew Boockvar and Lenox Hill Hospital
« on: September 19, 2017, 01:53:11 pm »
Has anyone here seen Dr. John Andrew Boockvar, Director of the Brain Tumor Center at Lenox Hill Hospital? Does he just do surgery or does he also do Gamma Knife? What was your experience with him? Right now, I'm looking for a second opinion as to my options. Right now, the doctor I was considering going to for a second opinion doesn't even get back to me with an appointment date and I was told she has to study my radiological reports to see if I qualify for her treatment.

v357139

Re: Dr. John Andrew Boockvar and Lenox Hill Hospital
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:11:12 pm »
ANA recommends choosing doctors with extensive experience in ANs.  The NYC teams with the most extensive experience are Roland/Golfinos at NYU and Selesnick/Gutin at Sloan Kettering.  Both of them are great choices for surgery.  Dr Kondziolka at NYU is highly thought of for Gamma Knife.  Best to see top surgeons for surgery, and top radiosurgeons for radiosurgery.  I did alot of doctor research.  Feel free to PM me and I can share it.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

ANSydney

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 07:00:14 pm »
v357139, did you find a doctor that erred on the conservative side. I can only think of potentially Dr Michael McKenna  ( https://www.anausa.org/resources/videos/support-group-video-library ).

In many European countries, 95% of tumors less than 2 cm in diameter are observed ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18559028 and http://acusticusneurinom.dk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/natural-history-of-vs.pdf (Fig 1)). The US seems to be the opposite.

v357139

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 05:51:34 pm »
Syd,
By the time I got to surgery, mine was something like 3.5cm by 3.6cm by 3.7cm.  It was starting to compress one of my ventricles.  Waiting any longer would have been bad.  I saw McKenna and Barker also.  They said get it done.  All the docs said get it done.
Rich
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

ANSydney

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 06:49:37 pm »
Hi Rich,

From 2.5 cm to 3.5x3.6x3.7 cm is rapid growth. Surgery was the best option. How did it go with regards to hearing and facial nerve (and anything else)?

Looking at your MRI images, the growth would have been apparent at a glance!

My tumor is larger than your original measurement and smaller than your last measurement. I'm watching it. There's a better than 95% chance I won't need active treatment.

v357139

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 07:30:05 pm »
Syd,
I got translab so I lost hearing in that ear.  Most times I do not even notice it.  For facial issues, minor smile issue for a few days.  Now no facial issues at all.  Balance at about 90-95% of previous, again this is a very small issue.  If I had to do it again, I'd have gone sooner - only because mine was growing so fast.  I feel like I waited too long but thankfully I went to a team with extensive experience and I lucked out.  They did have to leave a little piece in that was stuck to the facial nerve.  I think it is possible that might not have been needed if I had gone sooner.  But that is purely speculation, although I do believe it.  Anyway I'm not complaining because I had a really great result.
Rich