Author Topic: Surgery Choice Regrets  (Read 4246 times)

Sailfish

Surgery Choice Regrets
« on: September 16, 2017, 03:43:36 pm »
Surgery scheduled for October 17th.   I am still trying to decide between RS or TL.  My tumor is size 3.3 and surgeons have said it's maybe 50/50 chance to preserve my hearing.  I was told by another that it was maybe 20% chance. 

Based on reading a lot in this forum and the net; I've come to believe that the TL is somewhat safer, less risk, less side effects and quicker recovery.  Probably not a blanket statement but in general that's my take.

If you agree or disagree please share your thoughts?
6/23/17  3.2cm  Facial numbness and tingling  Tinnitus 2012 
Surgery with Drs. Cunningham and Zomorodi at Duke - upcoming

Jael

Re: Surgery Choice Regrets
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 05:03:51 pm »
My doctor was very certain about the best option, so that let me be comfortable with the plan. You're in a difficult situation with this choice to make. Sorry to hear this. It seems that the good news is that, one way or another, your an is coming out SOON! Best wishes!

ANSydney

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:16:25 pm »
Sailfishboy, my tumor is about the same size and I was given much lower odds of preserving hearing. Did the RS surgeon give you odds of 50%, while the TL surgeon give you odds of 20%? Are they different surgeons? 

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 03:22:03 am »
Sailfishboy:
Which approached does the doctor recommend ?
Being someone who wasn't given any options about anything I know I would have found having to make such a decision myself most upsetting ( and really I wasn't in a state to make such decisions by the time I was diagnosed).
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)