Author Topic: Travel Expenses  (Read 3481 times)

Kaci

Travel Expenses
« on: July 13, 2017, 08:35:37 pm »
Hi there, I am from CT and having surgery at NYU soon. I just started looking into hotel/parking expenses. Does anyone have advice regarding this? I feel bad having family/friends spend so much on staying there or just visiting. Is it necessary to have someone with you all the time? I thought I would be allowed to have someone stay overnight in the hospital but I dont think its allowed. Any advice is appreciated thank you

lark114

Re: Travel Expenses
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 03:03:42 pm »
This is what I did.  I live in Phila and traveled to LA with my husband and son to have my AN removed Aug, 2015.  I found a house to rent outside LA instead of staying in a hotel.  LA was too expensive so I found a great house in Pasadena and my husband/son traveled to visit me in the hospital.  Much cheaper and more comfortable.  Go on VRBO.  That's where I found it.  Don't worry so much about someone staying with you in the hospital.  You will be too out of it anyway.  Take pain meds often and the best piece of advice I can give you is to use an ICE PACK on your head in the hospital.  It helped sooooo much and you won't need as much pain medication.  The hospital probably won't automatically give you one, so ask for one.  If they don't have one, tell them to make one by putting ice in a glove, etc.  (I'm a nurse so we can make ice packs out of anything).  Keep it on constantly.  I slept with an ice pack on my head for several months afterward.  It was my best friend. 

You will need someone to take care of you after you're discharged.  You will feel terrible and will need someone to be close by right after you get out of the hospital to make sure you don't fall down in the shower, etc.  You won't need someone with you all the time. 

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:08:01 pm by lark114 »

DKR

Re: Travel Expenses
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 07:46:59 am »
I am two years post-op from having two craniotomies. I had a benign olfactory groove meningioma, and soon after a brain fluid leak for which they ended up re-opening up my skull through the previous incision. I have had an itchy scalp every since! I've tried everything and did get temporary relief from a round of steriods but it came back.  My scalp is still somewhat numb and feels like I have cradle cap. Like an extra layer on the crown of my head.  I am a 64 year old woman.  - Just a note not related to the itch, I did get one other leak a year later which was repaired endonasal.