Author Topic: One week from surgery... looking for support  (Read 2053 times)

Polar5554

One week from surgery... looking for support
« on: July 08, 2017, 06:45:16 pm »
Hi there,
I'm new here.  I was diagnosed three weeks ago with an acoustic neuroma and eleven days later on June 30, I had it surgically removed by two amazing surgeons at University Hospital in Cleveland (Dr. Bambakidis and Dr. Megerian) by the means of a retrosygmoid craniotomy.  As my husband and I anxiously scoured the internet in the days leading up to my surgery, I was grateful to hear all the stories and information shared here.  Thank you to all who have contributed.  I hope I can do the same for newbies in the months and years to come.

I have a few post-surgery related questions.  By all accounts my surgery was a success.  They believe they removed the entire tumor and I retained hearing and facial symmetry.  A week after surgery I am experiencing what I can only describe as hearing the world through a seashell in the tumor side ear.  It started as a consistent "white noise" blocking my hearing.  Now it seems to be muffled.  I'm also experiencing a "fullness" in the head, but I imagine that could be related to the medication I'm on.  Has anyone experienced anything like this and does it resolve itself?  Is this just nerve healing? Thanks in advance.  Any insight would be helpful!   :)
Acoustic Neuroma diagnosed 6/19/2017
3cm with 7cm extension down brain stem
Neurosurgical removal on 6/30/17
Dr. Bambakidis & Dr. Megerian – University Hospital

bethtretrault

Re: One week from surgery... looking for support
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 03:57:22 am »
I had retrosig 11/2015. When I woke up from surgery I was deaf in the AN ear and a day later got alittle hearing back. My ear always has a faint sensation of fullness. Your surgery was so recent-I think you should call your MD to run it by them. The healing takes alot of time but your MDs can tell you what to expect through each stage.
beth
12/2013 5mmx4mmx4mm left
tinnitus, w&w
5/2015 7mm-louder tinnitus, occasional dizziness
retro sigmoid 11/2015

v357139

Re: One week from surgery... looking for support
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 07:49:57 pm »
Polar,
Congratulations on what sounds like a great result.  Always good to check with the doctor to ask what they think.
Rich
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!