Author Topic: AN surgery next month  (Read 2070 times)

TrishD17

AN surgery next month
« on: June 24, 2017, 10:50:42 am »
Hello Everyone.

I was diagnosed with a smaller AN in January 2017. My symptoms started 2 years prior. I was experiencing constant annoying pulsatile tinnitus and saw my ENT. A hearing test was administered which did not show any hearing loss. As I look back, I recall having some occasional balance issues (listing while walking, yoga poses, dizziness when getting up too fast or walking in dark rooms). Then Whamm O, I experienced an intense case of vertigo. I thought that this was a virus and it passed quickly (24 hours). During the next few months I started noticing hearing loss. At first I thought it was just a stuffy head due to the colds/bronchitis that plagued me for months. I have been experiencing extreme fatigue. I went back to my Dr. and she ordered an MRI and another hearing test. The hearing test showed a considerable (although functional) hearing loss. I have 76% speech discrimination in my AN ear. The MRI revealed the 9mm tumor. I had done lots of research on my symptoms, so the AN diagnosis did not come as a great surprise. Now I have to deal with the reality and stress.

I met with Kaiser’s surgical team Dr. Cueva and Dr. Mastrodimos in January. It is my hope to preserve the hearing I have left. They explained the options available which included microsurgery or watch and wait. They explained that the location of my AN is “intimate” with the cochlea and to use radiation would surely obliterate my remaining hearing. After months of research and discussion, I have decided to go ahead with retrosigmoid surgery and I am scheduled for mid July. In addition to tinnitus, hearing loss, fatigue, and balances issues, I am now experiencing some facial numbness/tingling. Ready to get this thing out!

Thank you to all who have posted about your experiences with AN. I have used your experiences to help guide my decision. I know I have a BIG challenge ahead of me, but I feel that I am in good health and in good hands with my surgeons. I continue to walk/run and practice yoga daily. I feel that yoga has really helped me to manage my balance deficit. Wish me luck! I plan to give an update about my experience and recovery. Namaste.

Trish

Zan

Re: AN surgery next month
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 11:16:23 pm »
Hey Trish
Thank you for sharing your story.  It seems like you have done a really great job educating yourself. I am also hopeful that yoga can help me with balance while I deal with this. I have been doing some yoga and stretching to help with my running routine for years.  Now I will try to give yoga some additional focus.
Please keep us posted. I am very curious about how it all turns out.
Zan

CompassGeorge

Re: AN surgery next month
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 07:26:04 am »
Trish, According to your post you should have had your retro-sigmoid surgery by now. My RS is next week. I hope that your procedure went well and I'm wondering how your recovery is going? G.