Author Topic: Tongue, Roof of Mouth, Swollowing  (Read 3250 times)

Cupcake

Tongue, Roof of Mouth, Swollowing
« on: June 05, 2017, 11:20:01 am »
Hello Everyone

I had a Accoustic Schwannoma removed last September and recovery was going well. I did have decreased sensation in my tongue, burning sensations, and taste problems. As time went by it got better, until now. Now, the roof of my mouth and tongue feel like like I have decreased sensation and I am having difficulty swallowing (like I have a lump or thickening in my throat). I feel better being upright, sleeping is pretty much out of the question. Laying back makes it uncomfortable, so I'm awake a lot. Anxiety is crazy bad! This is disgusting and I'm sorry in advance but I'm burping a lot from air in my stomach. Ugh.

Anyone have symptoms like this? I've emailed my Nuerotolgist and he said it's not nerves coming back. I'm stumped.

Thank you so much. Have a wonderful day.
4mm removed 9/17 - middle  fossa, tear loss, decreased balance, reduced hearing, reduced facial sensation. Previous Spinal Cord Injury - Spinal Anestesia childbirth - 5 years PT - Mobile again :), balance issues, chronic pain. Syringomylia thoracic. PTSD, Anxiety.

vickieastwood

Re: Tongue, Roof of Mouth, Swollowing
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 05:22:54 pm »
That doesn't sound to good. Can you call your family Dr. And tell him your symptoms? Do you have a fever? Could it be something like mono? Hope you figure it out!

ANSydney

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 05:24:46 pm »
Welcome to the forum Cupcake.

How large was your tumor? How much of it was removed?

Your neurologist said its not nerves coming back. The question to him is, so what is it?

If it was me, I would organize an MRI to see if there is any thing related to the residual AN.

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 08:51:21 pm »
You need to have a swallowing study done.   Any dr could make the referral for you.   Usually a speech pathologist does this   with a video x ray.     This could show some of your problem but they might have some knowledge of the cause of all of it.       You sound like an unusual situation.      This has to make you miserable so hope you can get an answer soon.
                                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Cupcake

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 03:17:06 am »
Thank you so much for responding.

I called my GP and he prescribed a GERD medicine until I see my ENT on the 15th. My ENT was kind enough to call during his time off. He thinks it's either GERD or anxiety. I don't think it's anxiety driven. Maybe the other way around - I have anxiety because I feel like a lump is in my throat! He wants me to treat as GERD until he can scope my throat on the 15th.

Going to follow a GERD protocol and take a 'wait and see' approach. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to sleep sitting straight up. It's really tough. I don't get much sleep (look at the time stamp  ;) but I'm trying to keep up with naps when I can. And keep focused on other things. It's hard, but necessary right now.

I updated my summary at bottom. I hope it appears now.

Thanks again. Will respond after the 15th. Have a wonderful day!
4mm removed 9/17 - middle  fossa, tear loss, decreased balance, reduced hearing, reduced facial sensation. Previous Spinal Cord Injury - Spinal Anestesia childbirth - 5 years PT - Mobile again :), balance issues, chronic pain. Syringomylia thoracic. PTSD, Anxiety.