Author Topic: Retrosigmoid Surgery Recovery?  (Read 6340 times)

tkane

Retrosigmoid Surgery Recovery?
« on: April 28, 2017, 01:19:28 pm »
Hi Everyone, I am new here to the forum.  I found out on 3/17 that I have a 1cm acoustic neuroma on my right ear.  About 12 years ago while at work I had what I describe as a loud pop in my ear, and a persistent ringing.  i went to an ENT at the time who said it was just tinnitus, and there was not much they could do for it.  Fast forward 12 years, the hearing in that ear has been getting worse, I returned to the ENT who then sent me for an MRI, and here I am.

i am scheduled for retrosigmoid surgery the end of next month at Sloan Kettering in NYC.  I have done quite a bit of my own research via google, but havent come across much on recovery times.

I guess my main question for those of you that have been through this particular surgery is how long after surgery were you able to return to work?  I have a desk job, so its not particularly stressfull on my body, however i only have about 3 weeks of personal time I can take.  I know 1 week will be needed in the hospital after surgery, which would leave me with 2 weeks post surgery at home with the time that I have, which is a concern because my wife is currently out of work being a stay at home mom to our 6 month old, and we wont be able to afford me being out on disability as well.

My job is fairly lenient with time off, and I can probably work from my home after i have used the personal time I do have.  Just trying to get a good idea from those who have been through this surgery what to expect.

Thanks

Tim K
AN found 3/17/17
Scheduled for Retrosigmoid Surgery 5/23/17
Before Surgery: Moderate Hearing Loss, Tinnitus, Minor/Occasional Diziness

JLR

Re: Retrosigmoid Surgery Recovery?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 03:05:27 am »
Hi Tim I too had retro sig on Nov 1.  Unfortunately my balance was compromised and after my 5 day hosp stay NYPresby I was at Burke for an additional 4 weeks then another 2 weeks at a sub acute rehab. I still have rehab twice a week as an out pt also at Burke.  And because of my facial nerve also being damaged I'm still not working although I am semi retired and I was only working part time. Hopefully you will be fine and back to worl quickly. Which doctors are doing your surgery. Stay well. Joan

tkane

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 06:37:27 am »
Thanks for the reply Joan.  I've heard a few different recovery stories.  From super easy back to work within 2 weeks, to being out for months.  I am seeing Dr. Brennan from Sloan and Dr. Selesnick from Weil Cornell (NY PRESBYTERIAN).  They are quite confident that the surgery will go well with only 1% chance of complications.  I am hoping for the best as far as recovery goes.

A coworker of mine whose sister had an AN, had what I would assume is a best case, she was back to working, albeit with limited hours, a week after her surgery.  She was actually the one who recommended me the see these doctors.  I am in Albany and my local ENT was going to send me to Albany medical center, however the dr there could not even see me for a consult until after the scheduled surgery at Sloan! Plus I am much more comfortable with the dr's at Sloan and presby.

Here's to hoping for the best outcome, and thanks again for the reply!

Tim
AN found 3/17/17

JLR

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 10:11:04 am »
Drs Selesnick and Stieg teamed for my surgery.  I don't know Dr Brenan but know that Dr Selesnick is a good surgeon. Your in good hands. Both Sloan and Presbyterian are excellent hospitals. Good luck and stay in touch. Joan

quote author=JLR link=topic=23557.msg979774458#msg979774458 date=1493456727]
Hi Tim I too had retro sig on Nov 1.  Unfortunately my balance was compromised and after my 5 day hosp stay NYPresby I was at Burke for an additional 4 weeks then another 2 weeks at a sub acute rehab. I still have rehab twice a week as an out pt also at Burke.  And because of my facial nerve also being damaged I'm still not working although I am semi retired and I was only working part time. Hopefully you will be fine and back to worl quickly. Which doctors are doing your surgery. Stay well. Joan
[/quote]

JLR

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 10:48:36 am »
Hi Tim How did you find Drs Selesnick and Brennan. Just curious as I googled best NYC surgeons and his name came up. Thanks.  Joan

tkane

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 10:52:26 am »
Joan

I was referred to them by a co-worker who's sister had AN surgery done by them.  She had originally referred me to Dr. Gutin, but he is retiring, and Dr. Brennan is taking his place. 

On a side note, I spoke with Dr. Brennan's nurse this morning and she said generally it is about 6-8 weeks out of work time.  But she was comfortable with me working from home after 2 weeks as long as I can take breaks and rest.  So looks like things should work out for me if the surgery goes well.

Tim
AN found 3/17/17

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 04:30:43 pm »
Tim,
By the way,, when nurse says "take breaks and rest",, she should probably say NAPS,,  ::),,,, most of us experience pretty severe fatigue for several weeks/ months after surgery ,,

Maybe it will be better for you,, I hope,,  :)
Best of luck to you!!
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

JLR

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 03:36:23 am »
Tim I wish you all the best. I'm 6 months post op and I tend to get tired as the day rolls on. I do walk every day to keep my balance in check. After my surgery I went to Burke Rehab Hosp to regain my strength balance and ability to walk.  It's a bit if a journey but my surgery was on a already radiated tumor. I'm sure you'll do much better than me. Joan

tkane

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 07:29:09 am »
  From all the reading I have been doing, I know to expect getting easily fatigued, possible balance issues, etc.  I haven't experienced any balance issues prior to my surgery, with the exception of a little minor dizziness very sporadically.  I do experience a tingling sensation in my arms and legs as well, sometimes worse than others, and sometimes not at all. But whether or not that is related to my AN is beyond me.

I am hoping for the best in regards to being able to work from home with rest/naps.  Luckily I have family that is more than willing to help out around my house with all the other daily tasks that need to be done, so I can focus on getting back to normal. 

Tim
AN found 3/17/17

highsierratrekker

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 07:43:32 am »
I was diagnosed on March 16, 2016 and had retrosigmoid surgery on Aug 10, 2016 -- Dr's Carter and Harris at UCSD. I planned my surgery around taking my vacation time and managed to avoid disability. I went back to work on Sept 5 which was later than I was hoping for, but also better than a lot of the stories I read on this website. The reason it "took me so long" to get back to work was because I had a CSF leak and Dr Carter had to go back in and plug the leak on Aug 18th. Ended up with 13 days in the hospital. But all's well that ends well and I'm back to normal. Full time work, gigging with my band 3-4 times per month, hiking, etc. I have a strong recommendation for you: thoroughly investigate CSF leaks. Mine threw me into a kind of purgatory and it was very unsettling. Instead of checking out of the hospital on Aug 15, I had an additional surgery on Aug 18. Going in I was told there was an 8% chance of CSF leak so I didn't give it much thought. My advice to you? Plan for the worst and hope for the best. Good luck!
March 17, 2016 diagnosed with AN "14mm"
June 7 MRI showed growth to 20X14mm
August 2016 tumor removed via retrosigmoid

tkane

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 09:02:14 am »
Thanks for the reply HighSierra. 

Sounds like, with the exception of your CSF leak, that your recovery has gone well.  I hope for the same!

My Dr's did talk to me about CSF leaks, and gave me around the same % chance of a leak.  They are also planning on putting in a drain during my surgery in case this does happen so I don't have to go back under the knife to put a drain in afterwards. 

I have been keeping my boss in the loop with everything, and he is on board with me working from from home and doing what I need to do to avoid having to use disability.  So I am fortunate that my boss is compassionate about my situation.

Tim

AN found 3/17/17

mandihester

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 09:55:32 am »
Hi Tim,
I had retro surgery at the end of October 2016.  I was out a total of 8 weeks but that was because I could be out that long.  I think I could have gone back to work or definitely worked from home sooner.  3 weeks post op may have been pushing it for me because noise really bothered me but other than that- my recovery was good.  Adjusting to the tinnitus and hearing loss has been the hardest on me but I wouldn't say its been bad, if that makes sense. 
I did vestibular therapy twice a week and took walks everyday and that really helped with the balance issues. 
AN right side found August 2016- grape size
Retrosigmoid microsurgery October 2016
Before surgery- minor hearing loss, major balance and dizziness issues.
After surgery- severe hearing loss (it fluctuates), no dizziness, minor balance issues

Eddie

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 10:51:02 am »
Hi Tim,

I had my surgery in December 2015 for a 3cm acoustic neuroma at NY pedestrian by Dr. Sisti.  I think everyone's recover rate will be different, but mine was fairly quick. Prior to surgery i was active and relatively healthy. I was back to work within a month after surgery and had no complications - i probably could of went back sooner, but i decided to take it slow. I took Aleve maybe once post surgery and i'm not sure if it's due to my high tolerance to pain or i just had no pain at all? I had some vertigo after surgery, but after the first two weeks it wasn't as noticeable. I walked everyday with my dog so that helped a lot with recovery. Good luck and have a speedy recovery!

-July 2015 - Woke up with congested left ear and lasted about 2 weeks - then came Tinnitus
-9/16/15 - ENT doctor diagnosed with Tinnitus
-10/2/15 - MRI Scan reveals 2.4 X 2.4 x 2.2 cm AN
-12/8/15 - Surgery NYP Dr. Michael Sisti
-12/9/15 - 100% tumor removal all nerves saved :D

tkane

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 01:59:24 pm »
Thanks to everyone for all the replies.  it is a great help hearing your stories, and everyone seems very nice and personable. In fact, just from the few days I have been browsing this site, and chatting with a few of you, I decided to make a donation and become a member of the ANA. I have found the most help and support from this site, so why not give back a little!

Tim
AN found 3/17/17

alabamajane

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 06:56:59 pm »
That's why most of us stay, Tim, to give back and help newly diagnosed just as we received help in those lonely, early moments after diagnosis ,

Glad you were helped and that you saw fit to join a great group of people and organization!
Wish more folks, including doctors, were aware of us, 

Good luck to you,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26