Author Topic: Seven Tesla (7T) MRI Scanning Equipment  (Read 4154 times)

Derek

Seven Tesla (7T) MRI Scanning Equipment
« on: November 10, 2006, 02:33:36 pm »
Just thought you might find this of interest...

Prof Peter Mansfield of Nottingham University in the UK has just announced that a new MRI unit called the Seven Tesla (7T) is now fully installed within the University complex. It is currently the only one in the UK (not sure about worldwide?) of its type having a magnetic field 140,000 times greater than the gravity of Earth. It weighs 40 tonnes and has to be shielded in concrete and 200 tonnes of iron to prevent interference with other magnetic sources such as compasses etc. for miles around.

This new unit is claimed to provide an astonishing amplification of detail with finer resolution resulting in a remarkable degree of enhanced image quality thus greatly assisting in the diagnosis of medical conditions such as acoustic neuromas

I think I might be heading for Nottingham for my next scan!

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Seven Tesla (7T) MRI Scanning Equipment
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 03:24:49 pm »
Derek,
  Very cool.  I'm always amazed at the detail that we can now see inside the head completely non-invasively.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 03:45:01 pm »
wow ... leave your watches and jewelry at home !!!!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Derek

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 04:21:57 am »
'Bugger'.....contacted Nottingham University and ascertained that the Seven Tesla (7T) MRI equipment is only used for research purposes and is not available to the public for clinical diagnosis.
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.