Author Topic: Vestibular issues immediately after Gamma Knife  (Read 2256 times)

TaraM

Vestibular issues immediately after Gamma Knife
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:39:02 am »
I had Gamma Knife on my AN 7 weeks ago. Two days post GK I started to feel off balance and dizzy and this has continued for the 7 weeks. I have had slight improvement in that I can take short walks and maneuver around my house (most days) but I still can't drive or or do any major activity. Some days are worse than others and it seems that days that I manage to do more means that I have a slide in progress the following day. It feels a little like I'm playing a solitary game of snakes and ladders. I have tried SERC (Betahistine) and it's hard to say that it's making much improvement. I also tried a pretty high dose course of DECACADRON (Dexamethasone) and that made me feel so terrible that I haven't tried again. Anyone else have extremely compromised vestibular function immediately after GK? Any pearls of wisdom to share?

ANSydney

Re: Vestibular issues immediately after Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 05:07:39 pm »
Welcome to the forum Tara. From what I've read, its unusual to get AN related symptom progression so soon after GK.

What does the treating physician things is going on?

Betahistine is an anti-vertigo drug, whilst dexamethasone is a corticosteroid thereby reduced inflammation. To me, betahistine just treats the symptoms, whilst dexamethasone treats the cause of the symptoms. Maybe a lower dose dexamethasone is the way to go. Again you should be guided by your treating physician. He also has a vested interest in seeing you better ASAP.

TaraM

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 07:11:34 pm »
Thanks for the input. Yes it does seem very unusual to have such severe symptoms so quickly - who knows what else is still to come. My docs feel that it is due to the fact that my AN originates in my cochlea and then through the bony canal so the parts of the vestibular system would have been radiated and that it could be micro changes in inflammation. It has been suggested to take a lower dose of the Decadron so I may pluck up the courage to try that.

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 01:24:27 pm »
My hearing and balance started getting worse within 4 hours after CK.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

ANSydney

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 04:27:08 pm »
Paul, did your hearing and balance after a while improve?

PaulW

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 02:39:41 pm »
Yes it certainly did. My balance, hearing, and tinnitus all fluctuated. It took about 6 months to feel better than pre treatment. Things were a little funky for the first few months in particular. In the first few months if I was determined to do something, I could do it... But at times it was an effort, and I would tire easily. I attribute this to poor balance and the brain power required to compensate for the poor balance.
So hearing, balance and tinnitus were definitely annoying, but not debilitating.
Eventually all the problems went away.
Hearing came back, balance mostly returned, tinnitus almost negligible.
Radiation really is a 2 year journey..
Nearly 7 years on now, My life continues on as it did before. My hearing is still better than it was just before CK, although I have lost some high frequencies..
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!