Author Topic: Newbie with a growing AN.  (Read 3090 times)

Monk55

Newbie with a growing AN.
« on: February 10, 2017, 02:02:58 pm »
Originally diagnosed in 2012 with a 5 X 3 mm in left internal auditory canal.  Had annual MRI's with no change until 12/2015 which indicated the size to be 10.6 x 3.8 mm.  I underwent 28 radiation treatments in 2/2016.  A recent MRI revealed that the radiation had no effect with the latest results revealing more growth described as an "intra and extracanalicular tumor 13 mm long with a 5 x 8 mm cisteral component that does not contact the brain stem or cerebellum".  I have been experiencing headaches and earaches centered on my left ear.  I also have bouts of loud tinnitus that peaks then subsides to the level of the tinnitus that I have experienced since the onset in 2012.  My neurosurgeon wants to wait until July 2017 for another MRI and determine a rate of growth.  He has indicated that if it is growing, he wants to remove it.  My concerns are that he will not be able to save the nerve to my left ear, what of the other side affects, the recovery period and the affect on my life.  yhvru 

ANSydney

Re: Newbie with a growing AN.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 08:33:04 pm »
Hi Monk55. A 5 x 8 mm cisternal-component AN is small. Take a look at your MRI and get a feel for its growth rate. You can the MRI on disk which makes measurement easy. If your symptoms are mild, there would be a lot of room before brainstem displacement and even more before brainstem compression.

In Denmark and England, 95% of tumors less than 15 mm in cisternal diameter are not treated. To get to this figure, you've got 7 mm up your sleeve. You've had your tumor for 5 years, so chances of rapid growth (>5mm) are small according to the literature.

PaulW

Re: Newbie with a growing AN.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 10:57:06 am »
Many AN's swell after radiation. Swelling can last for over 2 years sometimes up to 5 years.
Some never shrink.. Radiation in small tumours has very high success rates. Everything you have described is very common. It's probably all fine.. Now that the tumour has probably done most of the swelling, I believe most doctors these days will want to wait 5 years before calling radiation a failure.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!