Author Topic: Flying open date and staying in LA  (Read 4586 times)

riabovamd

Flying open date and staying in LA
« on: January 14, 2017, 09:16:19 pm »
Hello all,
I am planning to do it at House clinic, with my daughter and parents.  Do you recommend staying at the hotel or Seton? They can cook and stay at Airnb, is it better for recovery purposes at Seton? Also, since the date is unknown , do I buy open return date tixs to Mi plane?

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
Re: Flying open date and staying in LA
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 10:02:24 am »
I had to be at Seton several days before my surgery because of scheduling problems, and talked to several patients and their families there before making my decision, which was to stay there for two weeks post surgery instead of moving to an Airbnb.  What several post-surgical patients and their companions said was that I most probably would be grateful for the fact that the rooms at Seton are equipped for hospital patients--the bathrooms have grab bars as do the hallways; I probably wouldn't feel like eating out for awhile (the cafeteria has decent food and is close enough to walk), and plenty of restaurants deliver, and there is great comfort after such a major surgery to know that the hospital is right there.

My recovery has been very good, but I still didn't feel all that hot when discharged from the hospital, 4 days after my 12/12/16 surgery.   I was encouraged to walk as much as possible in order to stimulate recovery of my whole balance system, and at Seton that was very easy to do in the long hallways.  I felt perfectly comfortable doing so in my robe or wearing sloppy sweats, and it was nice to see my newfound friends in the Breakfast Room and have a cup of coffee with them.  We were all in the same boat, whatever our surgical problems had been.  My husband could shop at the nearby supermarket and there were microwaves and toaster ovens to heat up food if we wanted to.   I was able to easily walk as far as the cafeteria, and looked forward each morning to pigging out at the breakfast bar.  Prices at the cafeteria are very low.  I'm a very active person and thought I'd go stir crazy at Seton, but the surgery took some of the oomph out of me (temporarily) and I was very happy and comfortable in my Seton nest.

Your situation is different, as you're coming with more people.  How old is your daughter?  Will she be a potential caregiver for you, or is she a child?  You will probably need a caregiver for several days, and if your daughter is very young then your parents will have to fulfill that role.    It would be possible to have 4 people in one of the rooms, but potentially uncomfortable.  Read the description of Seton in a post made last year, which gives you all the information you need, including descriptions.  One thing it doesn't mention is that there are two rooms that are a bit larger.  Each of the two has a king sized bed instead of a queen, and the sitting area with pull-out sofa can be closed off.  If one of those rooms is available, it would be the ideal situation for you.  If money is an object, the $85 per night cost at Seton is very attractive.

Whatever choice you make, good luck with your surgery.   As to what kind of tickets, when will you know your surgery date?  I'm surprised they haven't given you one yet.  Generally speaking they advise you to stay two weeks post surgery, just to be on the safe side, so once you know your date you can use that as a guide.   

Sharon

riabovamd

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 11:39:36 pm »
Sharon, thank you! Spoke to admissions and bought plane tickets today. The date is Tue or Wd, fly back next Sat. Will book Seton tomorrow, definitely easy to manage all the blah days. My daughter is 16. decided to keep parents out of it, just her and me...Glad you had uneventful stay and feel better...

Abetpds

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 07:20:00 pm »
Are you flying from MI? I was considering Keck at LA but was worried about the long flight back (and delays with my luck) post operative! But I am shocked at the room prices at Seton compared to Keck  Keck is $265 for a 3 bedroom -- pretty expensive  1 BR is $165
Staying 2 weeks would be a hunk of change!!!
Regina

riabovamd

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 10:30:10 pm »
Regina, it is done and over with, hope for good.  Flew from Michigan to LA, stayed at Seton 1/23/-2/3.  Flying back was piece of cake.  Seton was the best choice, very safe and convenient.  If Keck has anything like it, take it. Good luck.

Abetpds

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 06:09:21 am »
Ribovand
So very glad for you. How are you feeling?  Good luck on your recovery.
Regina

riabovamd

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 06:47:32 pm »
I am waiting for 4 months' MRI.  Stressful part.  Back to work in 10 d, back to gym and normal life.  No time to dwell on that thing.  But as MRI is getting close I am feeling some of the vague facial nerve sensations, strange taste, twitchy eye.  It seems that AN has life of its own, and fights for its niche, producing chemicals and taking  up space.  We shall see next month... What did you decide on your surgery place?

Abetpds

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 04:10:49 pm »
Hi Riabovamd
I decided to W&W based on recommendations from 2 surgeons that I saw.  With absolutely no symptoms other than hearing loss in left ear (which I can live with) they feel that my post operative condition would be worse than what I am going thru now. I think it makes a difference seeing a surgeon in person vs a surgeon seeing a picture and making a decision based off of that. So -- I'm waiting for results of my next MRI in July to see if there's any change.

riabovamd

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 09:09:35 pm »
That sound reasonable. What is the size of your AN? With growth being very slow if any, it is perfectly safe to wait until July for next step!

ANSydney

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 10:42:28 pm »
Regina, with your symptoms being over 10 years, hopefully the MRI will show no growth in which case you can continue with serial MRIs.