Author Topic: Diving after An surgery??????  (Read 4487 times)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Diving after An surgery??????
« on: November 06, 2006, 09:21:01 am »
Has anyone gone diving post surgery.
 I've been wondering if the pressure you experience in your ears when diving would be too difficult on an AN postie. Also thinking the "suspended in water" might be kind of a weird sensation with the vertigo. Trying to decide if I should try it when I go on vacation early spring.  I already have a running list of "can't do" because of vertigo/balance.  Skiing, ice skating, mountain biking, sure hope diving doesn't have to be added to the list.  Is feeling like I'm on a merry go round while sitting still, and feeling like I'm intoxicated when I'm not gonna be my only fun?

Looking forward to hearing some input on this.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Diving after An surgery??????
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 02:40:12 pm »
Hi Patti - look at you ready to take up diving!!!!   I have a pool here at the condo, & I love H2O, but scared to try it (it's been 4.5 months, I need to get off my buttocks!!).   Haven't gone snorkeling or river rafting either.   I'd probably ask the neurologist about the diving - pressure & all.    Good Luck you diving fool!!!!!    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 03:48:51 pm »
Not trying to "take up" diving. Just havn't done it since long before the surgery.  Hoping to be able to do it again.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 05:13:24 pm »
I tried snorkling in my bathtub but it wasn't deep enough!!!! ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o

Actually I've been in a couple of pools and I've tried diving to the bottom to see if I could clear my ears, but they weren't deep enough either.  I love free-diving and can (could) get to 30 feet and stay there long enough to look at stuff, no problem. I used to do stuff like that for a living!

Capt Deb 8)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 05:16:38 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 05:15:56 pm »
Hi there Patti  - hope all is going well.   When I said take up, I meant it like 'take on' diving. (Sometimes people have trouble following my train of thought when I talk, I don't always use the right words, I think it's also in the way I write).   Like I love swimming, river rafting, but am scared to do it, yet here you are wanting to dive.   Please let me know what you find out about diving & ear pressure.    Wishing you great adventures,   Nancy

P.S.  YOU ARE A RIOT CAPT. DEB - - - LOVE THE LAUGH!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 05:18:17 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 08:16:31 pm »
Patti I thought someone posted about that a while back..did you try a search?  I know last May when I started swimming again I think I was a dog paddle and puke mode  LOL  I had to keep practicing until I could handle the water moving and get my strength back up.  By the end of summer I was able to dive down some but not like a diver would.  I would think there would be many variables to consider like visibility and possibly getting disorientated...I know bubbles up right?  ;D

sherry6

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 04:59:03 pm »
Hey Patti -

I would like to know what you find out!  I am 5 yrs since surgery and my vertigo is mostly under control and I have wanted to try diving.  I have been snorkeling twice since and didn't have a problem other than it 'sounded' weirder than normal being under water.  I have my pilot's license and although I can fly, I don't have the self confidence that I did before, trusting that I won't have a problem at the wrong time.  I have the same feeling about diving and since I have only one ear, I am afraid of pressure that could disable the only lonely one!  Anyway, I would be interested in what you find out!

Sherry