Author Topic: ANs and Alcohol  (Read 9341 times)

Dfcman

ANs and Alcohol
« on: November 04, 2006, 09:51:45 pm »
Not that I'm really thinking of it now or anything, but can Alcohol have any neurological effects after all medications are done?  I noticed b4 I knew about the AN, when I was noticing a balance problem, that alcohol was imparing my balance  much much sooner.  Its prob always gonna be that way tho.  I don't think i'm ever gonna drive a car with the least bit of alcohol in my system.  I mean of course I dont drink and drive, but I will fail a sobriety test in a second.  I forgot who's post that was where they said "officer, may I please hold your squad car?"  I giggled

But yeah, I was just curious to whether or not there was any effects.  I know that may be a stupid question, but I havent drank since April and don't plan to for awhile.  I'm not a major drinker or anything, I was just curious ya know with all the X-mas parties comin up next month.
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

Jeanlea

Re: ANs and Alcohol
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 10:36:01 pm »
I've had one or two drinks a couple of times since my surgery.  I didn't really notice any difference, but I did my best to be very careful when I walked around.  Just don't want to over do it.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 10:53:32 pm »
I have no tolerance for alchohol and have only had a few sips since surgery.  I'd def. make sure I didn't drink and drive and be careful!  You're balance is already impaired...you can act like you're drinking and be convincing even if you've not had a drop of liquor  LOL

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 11:11:28 pm »
I feel like 1 drink equals 2-3 now.  I've had a couple of outings, with designated drivers, and I keep it to one or two at most.  I have this thing, now that I'm older and much more respectful of pain and how long it lasts these days, and I don't need any other help in stumbling or falling, and most of the time the AN damage makes me feel like I've had one or two anyway.  I say partake to the level that you are comfortable, it's certainly not taboo.  One of the tricks I use so that people don't bug me about not drinking is to order a tonic with lime...it looks like a drink, so people don't bother you about not partying with them.  And I really like tonic, so it's all good.
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

tony

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 01:34:51 am »
I do now drink (post op/op/op/ etc)
and yes the balance hits tilt much sooner
I would say my safe limit for falling over
has been cut by a third ?
- so I drink at home - and never when there is any nightime
driving or walking to be done - just TOO risky.
I find tolerance to low blood sugar is down about the same.
In terms of the meds - they have similar effects ie on the central nervous system
so maybe 1-6 mths post op the alcohol with have slighly exaggerated
effects on dulling sensations or co-ordination
But it woukd be only temporary - and always falling away from
the op date
Best regards
Tony

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 02:22:20 am »
I didn't have the courage to say this but i'm sayin it now
i don't drink alcohol at all anymore because when i did my balance got really bad
i smoke marijuana sometimes HEY DON'T JUDGE
i'll grow out of this phase... i'm still young and dumb
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

Rc Moser

Re: Ans and Alcohol
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 06:22:48 am »
I quit drinking when I was 22. Rarely have any alcohol even today. Thought I was missing out after my AN operation. Tried to tie one on. Just gave me a headache and yes made me even more dizzy than I was already. For me just another problem to deal with, so I rarely drink any of the  so called "GOOD" stuff.  As for any other illegal drugs haven't haven't tried them or wanted to.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

kat

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 06:34:53 am »
Hi everyone

In the sixties I used to have a poster on my wall declaring " Beat the breathalyser smoke pot !" amongst Frank Zappa ,Jimi Hendrix  and others which if I had kept them would now be worth a fortune . I did grow out of it and gave up smoking alltogether nearly 35 years ago. However I have heard that marijuana can be good for some medical conditions  whether
AN is amongst them I do not know.  I do have a friend who has smoked pot regularly since the sixties and  as a result is not the best advert for the practise since he looks totally wrecked and has big problems mentally.

I have not noticed any difference in balance from drinking alcohol since AN was diagnosed . I do have a couple of glasses of vine with meals almost every day and have done for the last 30 years or so. Having GK 18 months ago has made no difference either .

Regards Kat
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

SKT

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 06:39:19 am »
Yep, drinking makes my eye droop almost immediately, and i feel unsteady on my feet very quickly, and one glass is probably equal to my previous 3.
But i haven't let it change anything.  I still enjoy a night out with a few drinks and just put up with it. Having a cocktail or two when you go out is just too much fun and worth it!!

matti

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 12:55:42 pm »
I agree with Gennysmom, 1 drink equals 2-3.  The AN side of my face and head gets really warm and red as well.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 08:06:32 am »
Certainly have a couple of holiday drinks but keep in mind your tolerance may be less than it was.....I know mine certainly is. I was drinking a 24 and walking home pre-op and post op.....gee if I even carry a 24 without staggering!
Seriously just remember you're tolerance is likely less and you will be off balance much quicker (and those bed spins the next day!!! worse than pre-op that's for sure).
Also watch that any medications you may be on now aren't a factor in alcohol intake.....for some drugs it's a definate NO NO!
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 08:32:06 am »
  When I was taking Vestibular Retraining with my Physical Therapist, I asked about alcohol.  BUt it seems to be one of those things where common sense already tells you the answer.  If you already have a compromised balance system, where it can sometimes be overwhelmed or you feel dizzy, and you know that alcohol can "dampen" the brain's ability to maintain balance, it should not be surprising that your capacity for drinking (after AN) is reduced.
  I agree with the other poster that 1 drink now equals 2 or 3.
Regards,
  Rob

PS. Taylor, I was in college during the 70's, so I know about marijuana.  I won't judge.  But, just take a look at the people you know that smoke a lot of marijuana, they are probably not going anywhere.  Many of them will be existing for the moment, and not moving in a positive direction with their life.  Be careful, I wouldn;t want to see you become one of them.
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 08:47:31 am »
POT, POT AND MORE POT!

This was to get your attention!

For those called "old" and most of those people were *FLOWER CHILDREN* who smoked marijana and yes, some still do.  As for myself, I used it only for a short time as, I couldn't sleep.  I tried a couple of things but, late in life and you all "OLD PEOPLE" (and I say that for Taylor and other really young adults) have much experience with pot.  I don't have much experience with it but, as an observer.  I know someone who is now in their mid sixties and has a voice like a "frog."  (woman with a mans voice from the M. smoking all her life)  I also know of a man in his late fifties who developed "flat-lung" from smoking "M" all his life.  Actually, he might be dead now.  I haven't seen him for about a year.

Life can be *full* and us OLD PEOPLE do know what we are talking about.  Stoners are losers.  Things can be used in moderation and for a short duration if say, the drug has a strong purpose.

That is my lecture for a Monday and off my sweet soap-box I fall..........NO GOOD BALANCE,

Signed with earnest love,

YOURS TRUELY, PALACE........Go figure!!!!!!!!
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Denise

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 10:34:19 am »
I find when I drink wine, I have an easier time getting up in the a.m., but when I drink something stronger I can hardly get out of bed in the morning, and i am not drinking to excess.  Just having one or two. I don't really notice any issues with balance, and have experienced not dizziness.  I did do a shot of tequila with a straw once.  I don't recommend it!

Also, I have heard M is medicinal, but haven't seen anything from the medical community that says it helps with any AN symptoms.  So I just steer clear, even though a very close friend keeps telling me its medicinal.  Gotta love your friends, especially the ones who have stuck by you!

I just say to each his own, and moderation is probably a good idea, or if you are going to drink do it in a controlled environment.

DS
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

tony

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 11:28:31 am »
I am not going to lecture or judge
- the real issue with drugs is dependancy
- basically if you (ie you, or me, or most of us in fact)
 already have some serious challanges to get over
the chances are you can/will  get to depend (its so easily done)
I am not saying alcohol is morally right or better
- but in this respect it is so much easier to control
think about it
best regards
tony