Author Topic: Facial paralysis healing, what can I expect  (Read 5453 times)

Trinityfilled

Facial paralysis healing, what can I expect
« on: July 15, 2016, 11:53:38 pm »
Hey everyone,
I am so thankful for this forum and everyone's help so far. I wasn't quite sure which board to post this question on, so I hoped I picked the right one. So I am exactly 3 weeks post retrosigmoid surgery to remove a >3cm AN. After surgery, I had an HB score of 6, total paralysis. 3 weeks out now, I am regaining movement every day. My biggest issue is that my eye, although fluttering, still doesn't blink all the way and it's not tearing on its own. My doctors expect a full or nearly full facial recovery, but can I expect to also regain the tearing ability in my eye or is this scratchy, dry eye a permanent thing? Just wondering what others experienced if you had temporary facial paralysis. Thanks so much.
-Aimee
Diagnosed AN on 4/18/16, 3.6x3.4cm
12hr Retrosigmoid surgery 6/24 removed 85%
Second surgery, 6hrs, with Friedman & Schwartz at UCSD 8/7/18 for regrowth 3.3x1.5cm. Small portion left to preserve facial nerve.
8/15/18 CSF leak from incision after suture removal. Sutures replaced.

alabamajane

Re: Facial paralysis healing, what can I expect
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 07:21:57 am »
Good morning Aimee,
Welcome and I'm glad you have reached out to us for advice and our experiences. It sounds as if you are having a very positive recovery this early. That's great!

I do hope you are using some eye drops and ointment to help maintain a healthy eye while the nerves recover. This is most important. You don't want to get a scratched cornea. There are many brands to try,, Systane, Refresh come to mind. I used ointment at night early on,, the Refresh PM. Then I liked the gel drops during the day,, and still use them some. They seem to be a little thicker than regular lubricating drops.

If you have this much change at 3 weeks,, I would imagine you will see much more healing and nerve recovery very soon. Just keep your eye moist until then.
Congrats on getting through treatment and on to recovery now. Keep us updated. We are here for you.

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

InnerGrace

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 08:41:52 am »
Wow, Aimee!  I am so happy for you!  This Monday will be 7 weeks out from a retro for me.  I also woke up with HB 6.  I went to see my opthalmologist last Tuesday and she put me at a 5 now.   I really don't see much change other than I don't have to use a straw ALL the time.. and my eye is less angry.. (less starey)   She wrote me out a script to see a facial therapist and I start going to see him on the 25th.  I am anxious for that.  Everybody is so entirely different.  My eye does not close either.. flutter is a VERY good word..lol  Mine closes on it's own when I go to sleep, with a little helpful nudge..... I use lacri lube ointment during my sleeping hours.. and I actually use it in the day as well, just not as much.... I put a tad bit in when I get up in the morning.. then I put some special hyrdating contacts in and I'm usually pretty good for the day!  I carry special eye drops made for contacts with me though just in case.  BUT!  Although I am not producing tears out of the affected eye when I CRY, my eye MUST be producing some sort of moisture as I will have a tear roll down my cheek sporadically through out the day.. ..  Time will only tell what will be the irritating little side effects, if you have any.. but at 3 weeks and you are seeing constant changes????  You sound like you are headed for a whole full healing.. and I sincerely hope so!
Diagnosed 4/28/2016
2.4 x 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN
Symptoms:  Mild Hearing Loss, Mild Tinnitus, Mild Balance Problems, Possible Vision Issues, Some Vertigo.
Retromastoid Craniectomy 05/30/2016. UPMC Presby
Dr's Gardner and Hirsch
Left SSD. HB 6 Facial Paralysis.  Waiting for the nerves to wake up...

researcher

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 10:27:16 am »
Hi Aimee! Great progress so far for you.

I woke up HB 6 also. Now, 7 months out my AN super dry eye now waters profusely when I eat. The symptoms are everchanging for me. I am so happy it isn't dry.

You are likely to have more changes in your facial symptoms as time goes on. I think there a progression of healing for 6 months and maybe more. Take care of yourself.

mauretaott

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 01:11:16 pm »
Hi Aimee.  It sounds like you are making a great recovery!  I'm so happy for you!  I am almost four months post surgery after a mid fossa removal of a 1 cm tumor.  My face is starting to come around and starting to resemble what I looked like.  Both of my eyes are dry.  I still cannot completely close the eye on the side of the tumor.  I also have light sensitivity that was rather severe at first.  It is starting to go away.  I did have a corneal abrasion and the eye is still feeling scratchy but my Ophthalmologist believes it is getting better.  I continuously use Refresh Celluvisc drops and a lubricating gel at night.  I also use a patch on the eye to keep air out.  I did tape my eye at first but I had issues with the tape against my skin. I have been going to a speech therapist since surgery and the exercises have really helped the face start to improve.  I have a feeling you will no longer be bothered with this problem at the rate you are improving.  Good luck to you and please let us know how you are doing!  -Maureta

Kristena

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 05:00:00 pm »
I just want to say that makes me happy to witness a new group of AN survivors providing support to each other with their facial, eye, and other issues. That's what this board is all about!  :)
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 06:49:28 pm »
Kristena, I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments. That is what this board was initially started for,, support from individual experience. Period. That is what we each KNOW about.

I hope our thoughts here help each other and encourage each other towards their own recovery through our personal experiences.

Prayers and well wishes for all. Peace  ;)

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

RhondaC

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 09:58:11 pm »
I am 6 1/2 months out, I had AN surgery 2 times and now I  face issues. Anyone else have issues?
 What does this fell like and how long does it take?

Stina44

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 09:44:27 am »
I am 6 1/2 months out, I had AN surgery 2 times and now I  face issues. Anyone else have issues?
 What does this fell like and how long does it take?

I am 8 years post op and i am still slowly regaining facial movement. My drs told me any movement i didnt have back by 18 months post op would never come back. Boy were they wrong! I know its hard, its still hard for me, but it is easier than it was. Never give up, nerves grow slowly.