Author Topic: Head trauma AFTER Translab?  (Read 4712 times)

kippy6

Head trauma AFTER Translab?
« on: October 30, 2006, 11:26:17 am »
Has anyone suffered any kind of head trauma after translab, and if so, was everything okay?

My 13-year old daughter was being silly, and jumping up to kiss me goodnight. Her head hit my jaw so hard that even now, 4 days later my whole right jaw hurts, and it hurts to yawn again. The right side of my head has been hurting on and off.  A couple of nights ago, my head hurt badly enough to wake me up...wasn't the worst pain I've ever had, but enough to be uncomfortable and wake me up from a sound sleep.  The weirdest thing is that I have had a salty taste in my mouth for a couple of days. I'm sure it will get better over time, but just making sure there is nothing to be concerned about.
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

Raydean

Re: Head trauma AFTER Translab?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 02:22:26 pm »
Boy those head collisions can really hurt. It might be best to run this by your Doctor just to be safe.   I don't know if this is the answer that you're looking for,  sometimes a jaw injury will cause the TMJ joint to act up.
   You might want to try a softer diet, (limit chewing)  no gum, or foods that require alot of chewing, no clenching your jaw,or opening your mouth really wide, limit talking to see if that will help with the pain and headaches.

Best to you
Raydean 
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

sherry6

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 11:53:03 pm »
I had the same drs, they are great and Dr Brackmann is very good about calling you back if call to ask about this.  I had surgery for my AN in Oct '01.  The 'salty' taste thing is normal.  I thought of it as more of a metalic taste and for me it was only on my left side (translab side).  It went away and would come back occasionally.  I rarely have it anymore.  Also, the jolt to the head would have caused me considerable headache and neckache that soon after surgery.  I had alot of pain in my neck and lower cranial for a couple of months after surgery.  I asked Dr Brackmann about it and it is a little graphic, but he explained that they basically detach or partially detach (don't remember) the muscle that attaches the neck to the head during surgery and it tightens while healing.  Stretching excercises helped me alot with that.  Sleeping elevated helped with headaches during the night.  Anything that jolted my head and/or increased blood pressure would immediately cause a severe headache.  It gradually gets better.  I agree that it is a good idea to call the Dr just to confirm.  :) 

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 11:44:40 am »
Concur with Raydean and Sherry.....if its really a concern, and it sounds like it is, go see the doctor and rest your mind.  The salty taste (sometimes metallic) comes and goes.  I had my Translab back in April '06 and I'm still getting the strange tastes once in awhile, however, they are fewer than before.

See the doc and get some sleep :D

Road Trip
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO