Author Topic: Zapping, rushing sounding tinnitus--15 years post op  (Read 4160 times)

MLB57

Zapping, rushing sounding tinnitus--15 years post op
« on: April 16, 2016, 08:16:33 am »
Hi Mary here again..

I posted recently on episode of vertigo.. Glad to report that stopped as abruptly as it began.. Had it over 3 weeks.. MD prescribed Meclizine 25 MGs 2 or 3 times a day but that didn't help the vertigo..But during that time and now I have an increase in tinnitus..I can actually feel as well as hear this zapping, what I would describe as like an electrical charge that swoops through the AN side of my brain..  Up to now I mostly heard and felt this occasionally as I was drifting off to sleep.  But the last couple of weeks or more I hear these episodes during the day (which I can live with) but some nights the zapping kept me awake for most of the  night.  It's almost like I can feel some electrical activity happening in my brain.  And with my eyes closed with the sharpest zaps I have "seen"  or experienced a white and blackish image like a black piece of paper with white holes in it (yes!) .  So this has upset and downright frightened me..

Does anyone know if tinnitus can morph into this kind of sound/feeling?  I am wondering if hearing loss can deteriorate into this kind of noise..I had a 1CM removed retro sigmoid 2001, kept growing and I had 6 wks of radiation several years ago and my last MRI last April showed  shrinkage.. and next MRI due 2018..

OH and by the way, from day one after my surgery in 2001 and continues now, when I look to the left or right with my eyes I hear a slight rushing sound.. But this only happens if I purposely sift my eyes left or right but not my head.

Any input would be appreciated.

Much thanks to all on this site..

Mary/AKA Grammy
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Zapping, rushing sounding tinnitus--15 years post op
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 10:02:58 am »
Hi Mary .....

So sorry to read about your zapping tinnitus ..... not fun and I can agree it would be frightening.  Have you seen a neurologist about this or had an EEG?

As for the tinnitus increasing when you look left or right, that is called gaze-evoked tinnitus.  I have it and I think many AN patients have it, as well.  Read the following article for a better description of what might be causing it.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11568674

I presume you have told your doctor about the zapping feeling.  If not, I think you should.  It may be perfectly normal, but you need to know that, if it is.

Thoughts and prayers.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

MLB57

Re: Zapping, rushing sounding tinnitus--15 years post op
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 07:56:04 am »
Good morning Clarice,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply.. After I got off this site I actually googled tinnitus and did read about the gaze-evoked noise..

I have not contacted my PCP about this disturbing noise.   :o Guess I am hoping it will go away. Actually last night I  didn't have that zapping..and slept well..so with fingers crossed I'm hoping maybe (?) it's over..  I do recall in the past increases in noise activity that lasted a while and went away..but this zapping was scaring me.  But I just got over vertigo and maybe the noise was from whatever was causing that.. I don't know..but if it comes back I will contact my PCP.

Thank you for your compassion.. :)

FYI--I am one of the AN group who used to meet for brunch at Maxwell Silverman's in Worcester MA.. Phyl used to organize these brunches.. we haven't had one in a while..miss seeing everyone..

Take care and thanks again! ;D

Mary/AKA Grammy
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!