Author Topic: Hearing Aid for SSD  (Read 4835 times)

BOBOBOB

Hearing Aid for SSD
« on: January 16, 2016, 10:30:22 am »
I had Gamma Knife Radiosurgery in April of 2015. Had 12% word recognition in AN ear before and so far after surgery. Hearing in "good ear" is diminished due to age. I am 70 years old. Surgeon recommended looking into BICROS with reservations that the technology does not satisfy all patients. This investment will be all out of pocket. I read previous postings about Phonak and the pluses and minuses. My testing audiologist sells Phonak. My ENT office had Phonak now sells Widex. Any feedback on both brands would be appreciated.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Hearing Aid for SSD
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 07:59:17 pm »
You're right. There is no technology that satisfies everything for everybody. Your mileage may vary.

There's a search box at the top right of the page. Put in Phonak and you'll see all the threads that mention Phonak. Put in Widex and you'll see all the threads that mention Widex.

Google "hearing aid forums" and you'll find several that have discussions about many brands.

Regardless of what equipment you choose make sure you get a free try-out period (30 to 90 days) where you get your money back if they don't work out for you and make sure you get that agreement in writing.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 09:30:26 pm »
I am 66, SSD from a translab surgery, wear a BAHA 5 and a hearing aid in my not so good other ear. The BAHA was the right answer for me folllowing surgery. After about 4 years after my surgery my good ear started going south, and my BAHA BP100 was not powerful enough for me hear clearly on my SSD side.

ENT let me wear a  Resound hearing aid for a week and it improved my hearing so much that I bought it. Later on I traded up to a BAHA 5, and life is good in the fast lane.

Before you purchase a BICROS, try out a hearing aid and see if that helps.

James

BOBOBOB

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 07:34:14 pm »
Thank you for your reply to my posting. I am new to blogging and appreciate your hearing aid feedback. I hope that you will continue to make hearing progress.

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 08:39:09 am »
I am 66, SSD from a translab surgery, wear a BAHA 5 and a hearing aid in my not so good other ear. The BAHA was the right answer for me folllowing surgery. After about 4 years after my surgery my good ear started going south, and my BAHA BP100 was not powerful enough for me hear clearly on my SSD side.

So, James, just so I’m clear; was the hearing nerve on the ‘bad’ side severed during surgery and the BAHA still possible?

Doc
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:03:53 pm by Doc »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.